how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo

how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo 4 years, 6 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
going to restore this 

Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo 

but cant get the lights out

Re: how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo 4 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
thats a tough one

Re: how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo 4 years, 6 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
That doesn't look easy getting them out in one piece!

Never handled one of these - can you see anything from underneath with the base plate off?

Hugh

Re: how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo 4 years, 6 months ago #4

I restored one a few years ago. The headlights and the window unit is available as a replacement part.
At the moment I am not near my PC, nor the model, but if I am, I shall let you know

Re: how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo 4 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Picture might help.

Re: how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo 4 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
From what I can see, the headlights are held in place by vertical "stalks". The holes in the body don't go all the way through to the underside, in other words they are blind.

This must mean, that the assembly is an extremely tight fit, otherwise the lights would fall off.

Unfortunately this also means, that your chances of removing the headlights without breaking the stalks are probably slim to none.

Re: how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo 4 years, 6 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I seem to remember having one of these models and tried to remove the lenses myself. Very difficult even when pushing on the area behind them with a small screwdriver. This suggests they are a very tight friction/clip fittment and the only easy way is to drill through the metal and into the retaining clip to weaken the surrounding plastic making the contact area less of a friction fit.

If you do manage to do this and save the lenses, you will be very lucky if they go back with the same tightness, so you may have to secure them with a dab of clear glue or even clear varnish.

I have uploaded a picture for you.

Rollerman.
Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by TheRollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, dinky-shane-corgi

Re: how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo 4 years, 6 months ago #8

Gold Boarder
all done now thanks guys

Re: how to remove the from a Dinky #217 - Alfa Romeo Scarabeo 4 years, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Glad the members could help you out. That is what I like about this forum, Members helping members solve their problems with Model cars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dinky-shane-corgi
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7