FRENCH DINKY WHEEL RESTORATION
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group
  • Page:

TOPIC: FRENCH DINKY WHEEL RESTORATION

FRENCH DINKY WHEEL RESTORATION 4 years, 11 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
Both English and French Dinky Toys were fitted with painted cast hubs, later changing to shiny turned metal ones. The English ones were aluminium, the French version being steel, some of which were chrome plated. Rusting can be a problem on some of the French models, but unless it is very severe it can be easily cured. I have recently cleaned up several convex and concave hubs using a fibreglass scratch brush. These are available from modellers tool suppliers, electronics suppliers and some hardware shops. They are about the size of a normal writing pen, and have replaceable refills. They work like a propelling pencil, the fibreglass brush being wound out as it wears down. Mine cost around £3.00, with packs of refills being about £1.50. The process is very simple and quick, just rub the brush around the hub for a few seconds until the metal is clean and shiny. It is advisable to wear latex gloves, as the microscopic fibreglass strands can be an irritant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: FRENCH DINKY WHEEL RESTORATION 4 years, 11 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I use my Nevr-Dull for polishing the concave Dinky and Corgi Hubs and the convex Corgi early hub too. I think they are all aluminum or an aluminum alloy at least. I put them on a nail and then hold the nail in my drill press with the hub up tight to the chuck. I use a bit of the wadding and let the hub spin on the drill press. I then use a soft cloth to polish the hub. They come out shiny and bright like new. You can see that on almost all my Corgi Restorations and the Dinky Resto's that have spun hubs too. I have had my tin of Nevr-Dull since I moved here, almost 10 years ago and it is still like new and works like new. Just keep the tin sealed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: FRENCH DINKY WHEEL RESTORATION 4 years, 10 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
This is a very good tip thanks. I bought one of these fiberglass brushes from eBay and it has almost bought the very rusty wheels on my Citroen DS19, 550 back to new. The advantage of the pen brush is that it can easily get into the concave sections
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: FRENCH DINKY WHEEL RESTORATION 4 years, 10 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
So can the Neve-dull as it is cotton wadding with some sort of polishing past or liquid embedded in it. Works very well on my concave wheels, both Dinky and Corgi.Brings back the original shine and maybe a bit more. Below is an example of tarnished hubs brought back to brilliant shine with Neve-dull. One of my Code 3 Mr Whippy Karrier vans.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: FRENCH DINKY WHEEL RESTORATION 4 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
When your wheels look a bit like this> Insert Image:

Your going to need to do some serious shizz to them lol

Re: FRENCH DINKY WHEEL RESTORATION 4 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
In the UK we have something similar to 'Nevr Dull' called 'Duraglit', seems to be Centries old but is still available from good hardware shops.

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 143Madness

Re: FRENCH DINKY WHEEL RESTORATION 4 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Yes, your Duraglit sounds like Nevr-Dull. Cotton wadding with a cream and other things in it. I even find bits of fibre and what look like sticks in mine. It will take the rust off and when polished up will not let it come back. Puts a nice coating on it. I used to use it on my Harley's, and my other bikes as well as my cars and trucks over the years. Now everything is plastic on the bumpers of my Hyundai.

I took a couple of photos of the can and one of the contents so you can see what it is. Not sure if you can read the side of the tin though.

If you can't read the label and you would like to, right click and use Save As and put on your desktop and view with your picture viewer. Or I can email it to you, just PM me or ask here.
The rusted wheels that 143Madness shows would come clean and shiny with either product by hand or in a drill.

Jim
Last Edit: 4 years, 7 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, 143Madness

Re: FRENCH DINKY WHEEL RESTORATION 4 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Yes Jim, that looks just as how I remember my original tins of Duraglit including the actual size of the tin.

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco
  • Page:
Moderators: andyman7