Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 4 months ago #1591

Gold Boarder
Hi Jim,
Apart from the paint I do not see much differences.
But in my opinion the boot lid, the only opening part of these models, of the Atlas Simca fits better than the Original Meccano example.

Best Regards - Wolter.

Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by Krul.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 4 months ago #1592

Junior Boarder
This came through the post a couple of weeks ago:

Not bad for a French truck, though perhaps a bit 'modern' for my tastes

My next one, apparently, is the rather underwhelming (in my opinion) Austin open wagon - which is the Austin covered wagon, without the cover!  As I understand it, it's to 1/60 scale.  You do have to wonder why Meccano Ltd chose a small scale for a not very large truck.  Maybe it was to keep it down to a price point?

At least the ones left in the collection are all quite appealing to me.  I just hope they all turn up!

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 4 months ago #1593

That 588 is a very nice truck, thank you for showing. It is not in my collection at the moment

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 4 months ago #1594

Platinum Boarder
calopez1 wrote:
I just hope they all turn up!

...and that is always the big issue with Atlas. They're continuing the habit of declaring collections "complete" at random moments.

The Atlas/Dinky original collection (no opening parts) was the first example I encountered and it's recently been followed by two other collections: the tram collection (missing countless issues, but to be honest I didn't really care about that collection anymore) and the Saab Car Museum Collection - the latter consists of a total of 45 models, but my collection was declared "complete" after 42! The three missing models were not even from early in the collection, which might have been an excuse for them going out of stock or casts worn out.

Unfortunately their customer service tends to reply with "machine like" reponses, otherwise I'd contact them and let them know, that one of the main - if not THE main - arguments for subscribing, is to get a complete collection, rather than having to try finding individual models elsewhere.

We have discussed this before, and I think the reason for this behaviour is, that Atlas wants to "save" models for new subscribers when a collection is nearing the end...

Let's assume they want at least 15-20 models to be available for new subscribers. When stocks start to run out, more and more models become unavailable, and when the number drops below the limit, the collection gets retired from the site. So in order to keep the collection open for new subscribers for as long as possible, they unceremoniously "dump" old subscribers in order to retain stocks.

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 4 months ago #1595

Junior Boarder
Of course, Atlas (as far as I am aware) never tell you when you subscribe how many or which models are in the collection, so you have no comeback if they don't supply them 'all' - whatever 'all' is!  But it would be pretty galling, having taken several models I'm not particularly keen on, to miss out on others that I would really like.

Presumably the subscription model (pun not intended!) works for Atlas; after all, they've been doing it for years.  But you might think they would produce ample stocks for all their subscribers, and then, after the collections are complete, flog off any surpluses.  The Dinky trucks, at least (I don't know about the others), are lovely reproductions - I'm sure they'd sell!

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 4 months ago #1596

Platinum Boarder
Have to agree the French grog truck looks cool as. Pity though they didn't have the beer's advertisement included somewhere. Like Victorian Bitter.

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 4 months ago #1597

Platinum Boarder
Or Molson Canadian!!!

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 4 months ago #1598

Junior Boarder
Non, non, non !! Kronenbourg ou « 33 », s’il vous plaît !

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 4 months ago #1599

Platinum Boarder
Yes, Kronenbourg is a good beer. Drank it every night with dinner on out River boat cruise up the Rhine in '16

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 4 months ago #1600

Junior Boarder
Well... I love visiting France. Just not for the beer

But it is a French truck!

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 3 months ago #1601

Junior Boarder
<p>About a month ago I received the Austin Wagon and today, the Foden flat truck with chains - it's lovely.</p>
<p>Until yesterday, two more parcels were scheduled, one for May and another for June.  I checked again tonight, to see if the identity of the next had been revealed... only to find that both parcels had disappeared and that Atlas are no longer taking orders for new collections.  They say "...we want to reassure our customers with existing orders or collections that nothing has changed; all deliveries will continue on the same terms as previously..."</p>
<p>But I'm probably not going to get any more </p>
<p>I know people on here have warned about this sort of thing with Atlas.  Nevertheless, it's very frustrating when it actually happens!</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by calopez1.

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 3 months ago #1602

The note is on the main Atlas page and refers to all collections, not just the Dinky ones. Meanwhile, they are referring people to the DeAgostini Model-Space page, so it looks like they have decided to change their business model. The only collection I had that was still 'live' was the 'Deluxe' Dinky Collection which still shows scheduled parcels. The Trucks one ended a couple of months back after what (for them) was a fairly short run, although fortunately I did get all the Foden/Leyland 8-wheelers.

I am subscribed to the DeAgostini Dinky collection which has been a bit of a bizarre experience because in the UK, they started it; then stopped it; then when they restarted it offered to let me pick up where I had left off, except that they have changed the running order a bit so I have two different issues with the same car but have missed out on one of the versions of the 181 Volkswagen. Trying to talk to their customer service people is like trying to communicate with Martians so I've decided that as long as I'm only charged for what I get I'll leave it to fate.

I also note however that on the 'Model Space' section of the site you can now buy direct from a selection of the Dinky re-issues - no subscription and no taking pot luck. Prices are competitive, especially if you buy several - some are available via ebay from China at less but many are better value than the seconds/remaindered stocks that have supplied so many of us. So maybe they are shifting to the business model we probably all prefer - i.e. they make them, and let us buy the ones we want!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 3 months ago #1603

Junior Boarder
<p>andyman7 wrote:
I also note however that on the 'Model Space' section of the site you can now buy direct from a selection of the Dinky re-issues - no subscription and no taking pot luck. Prices are competitive, especially if you buy several - some are available via ebay from China at less but many are better value than the seconds/remaindered stocks that have supplied so many of us. So maybe they are shifting to the business model we probably all prefer - i.e. they make them, and let us buy the ones we want!
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks for the heads up Andyman - I've just placed an order!</p>
<p>The web site is clear and easy to use and as you say, you can order the models you actually want.</p>
<p>Looks like Atlas/DeAgostini have finally got it right - lets hope people use the site and it proves popular and grows.</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by cjwilkinson38.

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 3 months ago #1604

Junior Boarder
<p>DeAgostini ModelSpace has been there for several years now. A couple of years ago it started selling off batches of excess models from various DeAgostini Ranges sold in Russia, poland etc. The same ones in fact that they were also dumping via pound shops in the UK.</p>
<p>Now they are selling excess Atlas stocks from the same area of their web site. But this doesn't mean they will sell new series they, and their group companies, create in this way so you can cherry pick. This part of their site will only ever have items that are over stocked and they want to clear.</p>
<p>Please note that apart from the Dinky series UK wholesalers have been sold a lot of models from Atlas ranges like Stobart, Police, Touring Cars, ships, subs, fighter planes, jet age etc. This measn they wil be turning up at Toyfairs and online in numbers soon.</p>
<p>In any event DeAgostini has always allowed you to cherry pick it's series as they operate a back order system for each of their collections so if you only want a few parts you just order the back number rather than subscribing but be warned if you don't catch them when they are first made available as back orders they can sell out quite quickly if popular.</p>

Re: Dinky Toys replicas from Atlas/DeAgostini 2 years, 3 months ago #1605

Junior Boarder
<p>Oh well. Anyway - nice to get hold of the Citroen Dyane, which I haven't seen available anywhere else, and the Ford Galaxie too at a reasonable price!</p>
Last Edit: 2 years, 3 months ago by cjwilkinson38.
Moderators: andyman7