Steed\'s Jaguar coupe and other never produced Dinky Toys
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all things Dinky; British, Chilean, French, Hong Kong, South African or from whereever! This is also the forum of the Dinky Toys Group

TOPIC: Steed\'s Jaguar coupe and other never produced Dinky Toys

Steed\'s Jaguar coupe and other never produced Dinky Toys 10 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Hello im new to the forum and would like some info on dinky toys 113 steeds jaguar coupe. I managed to get one very early in my collecting life back in 1990 from Bolton flea market (anyone remember it) and i thought that it was a released model untill i got the dinky bible dinky toys and modelled miniatures by mike and sue richardson where it says it wasnt issued and over the years ive been told its a code 3 model and that its a pre production sample so im still non the wiser after all these years so any feedback would be most appreciated and how do you upload images????

Attachments:
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
  • Attachment This attachment is hidden for guests. Please log in or register to see it.
Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by andyman7. Reason: Updating title to reflect postings

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
This is the dinky in question

Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by michael77.

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
The rear of the box

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #5

Administrator
Great find, either way!

I think some of these were made as pre-pro samples, but are very rare. There are quite a few Code 3\'s made out of the Big Cat Jaguar too. Could we see some close-up pics of the model out of the box? That would help to ID - and does it have the \"Fly-Off Bandit\" figure and Steed & Gambit driver figures inside it?

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #6

Junior Boarder
It is not a code 3. It is an unreleased production item. According to the Richardson\'s later work, the Great Book of Dinky Toys on page 86, this model was \"not officially releasd becasue of factory closure, but some made\"

I hope this helps. This is a very rare item. The box is correct as it is listed as having a hanging window box.

It is listed in the 1978 Catalogue, issue 14 (the last Dinky Catalogue). I attach an image of the page.

The car was also listed in the gift set 307 in the same catalogue. This gift set was also not released.

The factory closed at the end of 1979.

This is slightly at odds with the statements by the Richardsons as the catalogue was actually printed in 1978.
I suspect that the reason it wasn\'t produced was the financial problems of the company at that time (by then owned by Lines Brothers).

113_SteedsCar_1979_catalogue0001.jpg

The gift set featured later in the catalogue:

Finally, a request, do you have any problems with me saving the images for use on the DTCA (Dinky Toys Collectors\' Association) Website, dtcawebsite.org?

Attachments:
Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by goldenp.

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Baskingshark wrote:
Great find, either way!

I think some of these were made as pre-pro samples, but are very rare. There are quite a few Code 3\'s made out of the Big Cat Jaguar too. Could we see some close-up pics of the model out of the box? That would help to ID - and does it have the \"Fly-Off Bandit\" figure and Steed & Gambit driver figures inside it?                                                                                                               
There is nothing at all inside the jag and no fly off figure either but where steed is supposed to sit there is some what looks like glue residue on the seat so i assume  that there was something there and i have searched in vain to get a replacement steed but thus far found nothing i will upload some images of the jag out of the box soon cheers mike

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
goldenp wrote:
It is not a code 3. It is an unreleased production item. According to the Richardson\'s later work, the Great Book of Dinky Toys on page 86, this model was \"not officially releasd becasue of factory closure, but some made\"

I hope this helps. This is a very rare item. The box is correct as it is listed as having a hanging window box.

It is listed in the 1978 Catalogue, issue 14 (the last Dinky Catalogue). I attach an image of the page.

The car was also listed in the gift set 307 in the same catalogue. This gift set was also not released.

The factory closed at the end of 1979.

This is slightly at odds with the statements by the Richardsons as the catalogue was actually printed in 1978.
I suspect that the reason it wasn\'t produced was the financial problems of the company at that time (by then owned by Lines Brothers).

The gift set featured later in the catalogue:

Finally, a request, do you have any problems with me saving the images for use on the DTCA (Dinky Toys Collectors\' Association) Website, dtcawebsite.org?
I have no problems with that so you can save the images

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #9

Junior Boarder
Thanks

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I wonder if any 307 New Avengers gift sets exist?? 

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Steeds jaguar broadspeed out of the box

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #12

Cam

Platinum Boarder
Hi Peter: Glad to see you again. I have a request of you if I might. Could you post or send me a close up of the Emergency set shown in that catalogue? I am intrigued by the colour scheme on the ambulance in there and am wondering what the decals etc actually say. Thanks in advance.

Cam 

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #13

Hi,
I\'m sorry to disappoint you but this is definately not a proper pre-production box. The graphics (fonts etc) do not match the correct Dinky style, so the artwork has been prepared using a proprietary software package rather than being the genuine article. Somewhere I have some photos of a genuine box sold by Andrew Clark Models a few years back - this does have the correct font and design. Whilst I cannot vouch for the car without seeing it in much more detail, there are in reality a very small amount of genuine pre-production cars made by Lintoy of Hong Kong (who were contracted to produce the actual model) but lots of very good replicas, produced by using the much more common (at least at one time!) unboxed 219 Big Cat models that flooded the market in the 1980s.

As regards the \'Emergency\' Gift Set, it was never produced, but some genuine boxes were made as I obtained a  very small quantity a few years back, folded flat as delivered from the printer and without foam insert. They were absolutely genuine off-set litho printed boxes - I still have one.

GoldenP - Lines Brothers collapsed in 1971 and the assets and facilities of Meccano Ltd (including the Dinky Toys name, tooling and Binns Road Liverpool factory) were bought by the Airfix group who owned them in the 1970s. Before Dinky folded, there were quite a few models that were announced but never produced. The Steed\'s Jaguar was always scheduled to be made in Hong Kong so the Liverpool factory closure on 30 November 1979 had no bearing on its non-appearance which was due to Meccano Ltd being unable to reach agreement with Lintoy to make the production items - I believe that there were credit problems at the time, and Lintoy ended up as a creditor to the Airfix group when they went into liquidation in May 1981.

I\'ll try and get some photos uploaded for both the \'Emergency\' gift set box, and of the Steed\'s Jaguar box, at some point by they need to be dug out of (secure!) storage

Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by andyman7.

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #14

Looking at the car, there is no driver figure, which all the genuine Steed pre-pro\'s had. They also had some sort of mechanism for flicking a bandit figure away from the car, so this seems like a reproduction made using the aforementioned 219 Big Cat base model.

Re:Steeds jaguar coupe question 10 years, 7 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
This debate is becoming interesting, regarding what the other members have written on the subject, Steeds Jaguar. I gather that, just on closure of Dinky, their projected production runs that were scheduled would have run under the receiver manages, who would have produced some of these Jaguar\'s to cover costs on designing and tooling. Also the receiver managers would continue to run productions of other dinky best sellers until raw materials were depleted. Thus a few models would have been realised in pre-production sources and the  display box runs. The issue to be solved is that, is it a Code 3 substitute produced in Hong Kong by the company sourced to produce this model, as it wouldn\'t be hard for them to produce their own boxes, as computerised printers were making their way into the world of printing. First hand experience in the 1980\'s in Australia suggest the above.
Last Edit: 10 years, 7 months ago by GunnerJim. Reason: Typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: lucas andrews
Moderators: andyman7