Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!

TOPIC: Matchbox car case.

Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I bought this collection a few years ago from an Auto jumble, I have left it as I bought it the cars are are mostly mint & apart from a Corgi Junior are all Matchbox. I was lucky enough to pay for this the price of what one of the models would sell for today

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #2

Great cars in the trays!

could you please show a photo of the Routemaster?

I would really like to see the ads on it

thanks

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder

It's a pleasure RoutemasterNL, here is the bus in trays & a few other's.

My interest in "old"toy cars came when I had the "mumps" & was off school in my early school days in 1970, my mum & dads neighbour's ,Auntie Win & Uncle Bert, always as kids myself & my sisters were bought up to call all our elders uncle & aunt out of respect, gave me a Macintosh toffee tin with metal wheeled Matchbox cars in as their son's had grown up I cherished these cars & still have them today (battle scarred). I will post pics soon of them they mean a lot to me.

The Merrit game also was given to me by them at a later date but this one I replaced as lost most of the bits, although the buses are shown they did not come with the game.

A couple from my toy box well played with but to me un-restoreable as I remember each scratch to paint work

Not Matchbox but of interest , I bought this in the very early 80's & have other versions somewhere

The replacement game which was given to me , the one I was given had the pieces taken out i.e post box telephone box etc to make my toy roads look real.

Last Edit: 6 years, 7 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #4

Thanks for the nice story and the photos. The Routemaster is the one with de BP Viscostatic stickers, they also exsist with decals. The Players Please  Londonm bus (not a Routemaster) is the scarcer one, well done Andy

Very nice artwork on the Merit box. All Routemasters around.

I can spot RM788 WLT788 (I think) 

here is its sister RM787 on Route 36

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
It is interesting with the sister buses as they are on South London routes. 

Sorry about pictures as changed our inter net provider in November  & have not had a good service since.

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #7

Senior Boarder
So does anyone know what transfer should be on the side of this? (sorry to hijack but seeing as the bus experts are on)

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Could be the "Players please" advert

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Some of the contents of the tin I was given, some I repainted in my child hood. It seems weird to say but these were old in 1970 given that the Superfast models were out.

One of my favorites , the one I was given lost it's base so I replaced it with a near mint one

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #10

There were 2 different castings:

the 52mm long one, issued in 1954
the 57mm long one, issued in 1957 

A few possibillities:

Buy MATCHBOX series     yellow background with greenish lettering, paper label
also issued as a decal 

sometimes the yellow is so faded that it looks lke white

Players Please                 white background with red lettering

BP Visco Static                   

And there is a very scarce green one, an Australian issue
Last Edit: 6 years, 7 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Measuring the base on my one it is 57mm long. It also has plastic wheels.
Last Edit: 6 years, 7 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 6 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Found another garage this time it is the Matchbox service Station, I have set it up with the Fire Station, though the fire engines are a bit modern for it

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 6 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Found another garage this time it is the Matchbox service Station, I have set it up with the Fire Station, though the fire engines are a bit modern for it

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 6 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Some nice ones there for sure Some i'm still looking to get even.

My Bus (Red) has the Berger Paints Sticker on it.

Re: Matchbox car case. 6 years, 6 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Some lovely Matchbox there Andy. I like the garage set up too, looks very realistic when close up.