Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: In the Mail from Ebay today

In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
This is a nice car, any scale, any maker. I concede some do it better than others but for this scale, not bad Matchbox.

Jaguar SS100 with original box, fair condition on the box but near mint on the car. Until I received it. The car was wrapped in too much paper towel and the shoved into the box. It did not bulge though. That was inturn wrapped in bubble wrap and then inserted into a Dove bar soap box. That was then inserted into a Bubble envelope of all things. Well the Screen surround is squashed some but it is still better that the one I have. This is made in Macao but the green one is from Thailand.

The one I already had, all but in poor conditon

And together, just not sure if the green with red hood is original colors. Can anyone confirm or deny this combo? For $10.69 US Delivered, I can not complain.

Edit:  Sorry, should have said these are both from 1982
Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Jim,There are plenty of green/red on ebay so that seems to be OK

I bought mine (RED) about 1982 but in the other box

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
top left model T  from 1989, top right  ss100  from 1982,  bottom right  ford van from 1979,  bottom left  ford model A 1979

Hi Nobelco the green with red bonnet is correct it was a give away through an english tea company  P.G Tips

Last Edit: 7 years, 4 months ago by LUFF.

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
That explains why the ones for sale have no boxes

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the info guys. That helps me out a lot.

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Nice score Jim, the beater you have was a PG tips promo from the Eighties. And they make the nicest tea.

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Not really a tee drinker so, not too sure about that but will take your word for it. What little tea I have had was with my Grandmother and she passed on in 1998 at the ripe old age of 104. I miss her and the bit of tea we would have when I went to visit.

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
If she lived to 104 Jim I think we should all drink more tea ?    

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Well that and nothing stronger since she met my late Grand father when she was 16. Converted to Christian Science and the rest is history. She was a tiny woman and her daughter, my mother is still kicking at 88 and smart as a whip. Grandpa died way back in about 1958 so she spent 40 years by herself in a huge house, near the ocean, in Vancouver. The fresh sea air is another factor she said was a help in her life.
Thanks Malcom for the comment. Pass the sugar please and will you have a spot of lemon with that??? I always did.

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Jim--

That is a pretty good model of an SS100, and I really like that car in red, similar to the Dinky 36 series.  But I do not get that version with the red bonnet.............what is that about?  Just seems odd that they would make one that way..........  Did they paint other models in a similar fashion??  Just curious!!

Terry

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Hi Terry

The only story I can come up with is that they may have been trying to replicate the look of the MOY Prince Henry Vauxhall. Just to reinforce that idea they did it in another combination

I think it's OK with the Vauxhall since that's how the original was but I am not sure it works with the Jaguar.

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Also in two tone grey. 

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The reason for the bonnet being red is the fact that it represents PG Tips logo colour.

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Terry, in post #3 above, Luff explains it was a give a way car from a British Tea Company and Jay says it was the company colors.

Re: In the Mail from Ebay today 7 years, 4 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Luff, I really like yours in the two tone grey colors. That looks brilliant and I could see that color combo on a real car. That would be nice.
  • Page: