Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!

TOPIC: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 2 weeks ago #346

Junior Boarder
Maybe this helps.

Also base changed from gloss to matt black, and a tow guide and patent number wee added
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, GunnerJim

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 2 weeks ago #347

Platinum Boarder
Excellent photo graph image comparing those small engineering changes like removing the patent number is a good find.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 1 week, 6 days ago #348

Junior Boarder
I assumed the Patent Number and tow guide were additions, as that's the later model.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 1 week, 6 days ago #349

Platinum Boarder
Excuse me if I ask a stupid question but what is a tow guide? I see no tow hook or other means of pulling a trailer etc. Am I missing something or is it a language thing?

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 1 week, 6 days ago #350

Platinum Boarder
I can only see two differences between the two castings Rear end tilt axle has styling support bracket shapes changes. The Patent number and no number on castings. Mat black and gloss black could be also added.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 1 week, 6 days ago #351

Platinum Boarder
The only two I have at my disposal are the regular wheel first version and the superfast that had some chasses changes as well.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 1 week, 6 days ago #352

Junior Boarder
"Tow Guide" refers to the raised lines cast on the baseplate behind the front bumper. They're there to stop the towed vehicle slewing sideways when under tow. Tow hook of towing vehicle is located between the raised lines.

Many models had this feature added across the ranges.
A multitude of information on Kings & Super Kings can be found here.
vbd3.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=37
You may have to register with the site to view.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim, Tick

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 1 week, 6 days ago #353

Platinum Boarder
Thanks you. I learned something new today.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 1 week, 5 days ago #354

Platinum Boarder
Ok. I can see what you on about now. Cheers.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 1 week, 3 days ago #355

Junior Boarder
Another new arrival.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, GunnerJim

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 1 week, 3 days ago #356

Platinum Boarder
Very nice bull dozer.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 1 week, 1 day ago #357

Platinum Boarder
Excellent. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 3 days, 5 hours ago #358

Junior Boarder
I've been looking into the comparative scales of these models (according to the catalogues) and some interesting groups are thrown up.

54-1

57-1

58-1

62-1

66-1

69-1

70-1

74-1

Interesting that the K17 and K20 both employ the same tractor unity, but have been allotted vastly different scales!

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 3 days, 4 hours ago #359

Platinum Boarder
WOW !!!!

Your photos amazingly show how Matchbox utilized vibrant and contrasting colour to make their models "pop"
The condition of your models are incredible

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 3 days, 3 hours ago #360

Platinum Boarder
Very nice indeed and it is quite the scale differenced to make them all about the same size for little hands to play with and enjoy.

Question, on the K20 Tractor Transport are those yellow plastic pieces to hold the tractors on the flat deck or are they mowers or something else. I have never see it complete and unplayed with.