Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!

TOPIC: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #286

Platinum Boarder
The van also has the jockey wheel with lifting and lowing handle as well.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #287

Platinum Boarder
a nice set!

In Canada the license plate is registered to the owner as well as the vehicle such that if you change vehicles you can keep your plates and have them transferred to another car. You use the same plates year after year. In order for the plates to be validated every year you need to purchase a plate sticker every year (or every two years in some cases). Every year in Ontario the plate sticker indicates the last two digits of the year and are a different colour than the year before so the police can easily identify out of date stickers. You replace the stickers on your birthday. There are fines for outdated stickers

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #288

Platinum Boarder
Brilliant thread and nice to see what I had as a nipper back in the late 70s early 80s especially the ERF Fire engine on page one and the K23 truck with the bulldozer mine was orange cab and trailer with a yellow dozer plus wasn't there motorbikes in the Super Kings range as I think remember seeing a blue one in Woolworths as a kid or is my memory playing tricks?
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #289

Platinum Boarder
Andy66 wrote:
are they classed as licence plates in Canada? & do you have to change them each year?

I think Matchbox copied Corgi toys with the tow hook as the trailer is more secure to these types.

Tick has answered the question above. It is the same here in BC even the color coded stickers. Same for trailers as for Car, Trucks and Motorcycle. We here in BC also have to have all off road vehicles registered with plates now too. I think insurance is optional on them. Manditory on the cars, trucks and bikes.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #290

Platinum Boarder
Many thanks for the info all.

Gunnerjim hope you don't mind if I add to your topic as I have a few models stored away but it will take me ages to find them but I will do one day.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #291

Platinum Boarder
Go for it mate especially if you or other members can add more images and information regarding Matchbox Toys over their life span that I may have missed out on.

Cheers

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #292

Platinum Boarder
K144 Land Rover Airport Rescue flashing sign in Super Kings by Matchbox International Limited and Matchbox Toys Ltd. 1987 copy right registration approved. I have been going to add this one for a couple of months now.  Well nothing like being late than never ever I supose.

You see instructions on the back of the box.

Instant touch and things change around and follow me somewhere.
Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #293

Platinum Boarder
Lovely yellow paint job and Tampo finish as they don't look like decals to me.

I would say at a rough guess that this toy was designed from the 1986 Land Rover van 110 series or there abouts.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #294

Platinum Boarder
Looks the sign is off.

Now it is on. Magic no hands.

I like Matchbox finish on this Land Rover and even it cost me a bit to buy this Land Rover to add to the growing collection of Land Rover's I am glad I did at the time.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #295

Platinum Boarder
Plastic base and wheels leaves the chassis somewhat Plain Jane to look at although the suspension is good.

Good features although Matchbox designers could have allowed for cut outs in the body and inserted windows and did what Corgi had done with opening back door.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #296

Platinum Boarder
This is a great topic & nice to see all the models, my dad,s work mate back in the late 70's wife worked at Matchbox & every now & then he would ask me what models i would like & they used to get them from the shop at the factory for a fraction of the cost. I think that from 1978 on wards to the end of the road at Hackney, Matchbox went back to their traditional road models where as from 1971 they started making dragster style models which although I bought them , looked out of place on my mums living room floor on my made up road ways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #297

Platinum Boarder
mattpal79 wrote:
Hello everyone. I love the Super/Speed/Battle/Seaking models. This one below took me an age to obtain mint in a mint box but I managed to get it. As you can see it is an impressive model. The K44 Bridge Layer from 1981.

A size comparison to a normal Matchbox 1-75 model. As you can see it is a beast.

I now know where the tractor unit I have comes from.    Great set.

Frame.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 4 years, 3 months ago #298

Platinum Boarder
It sure is Frame and they are holding their price on the market too.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 3 years, 11 months ago #299

Platinum Boarder
I replaced a couple more of my toys , I had these & still have them but they had parts missing , so these came up , the boxes are the later type to the ones my originals came in but they are both mint. The skip lorry was a great example of a toy skip lorry, the chains & skip excelant & the Ford "A" serries was the closet look to a MK2 Transit Luton which were a common site on British rads at the time.

Re: Gunner Jim's Lesney Matchbox Kings-Size and Super-Kings including Universal and Tyco. 3 years, 11 months ago #300

Platinum Boarder
Nice Superkings, my younger brother had he red Avis Ford A series van and I believe still has his green Porsche 911 Turbo, seen advertised on the end of one of the boxes.

The man that came with the Avis van was also used for other trucks of course in the MB SK range, but whatever truck we saw him photographed with in the Matchbox catalogue, we always called him "Avis Man"!