Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4.

Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 8 years, 2 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Some twenty years ago I started off with one of my children's long forgotten Matchbox that was a total wreck. Like no base or front wheels long ago disappeared. So I decided to try and fix it from memory. I used a plaster mould and poured the melted diecast metal into it and pop goes the wizzle, fizzing and sizzling away to the Zamak cooled. Didn't know too much in those days.

Anyway I have now added a couple of boxed versions in reasonable condition.

The one on the right is the homemade replacement base, wheels and axle and front window.

The one on the left was the dona for the plaster mould.

Cheers.

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 8 years, 2 months ago #2

Great collection James, for the first time I notice the difference in the casting of the frontbumpers

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 8 years, 2 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Hey, a blast from the past! I remember having this truck back then. Mine was the orange/metallic green with Superfast wheels. I think I should add it to my wishlist. I like the older versions better, but should probably go for the one I had back then in order to 'rebuild' my old collection.

Quite a nice model, that I had completely forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 8 years, 2 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Some of the engineering changes to the Leyland Tipper.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 8 years, 2 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
The King Size  Leyland tipper K-4-c was released in 1969 and had a couple of colour and label changes during its life time while using the K 4-c number with regular black plastic tyers and kept the same number when the Leyland was rolled over into the Super Kings wheel change.  This model was later changed to K-4-d for the Big Tipper futuristic design by the looks of it.  In 1979 the Leyland Tipper was re-introduced using the  K-37 B for the remodelled Superkings theme by popular demand I suppose.

Both these use the K-4-c number with the LE transport in red and silver was introduced in 1969 and the Super Kings came out in 1971 using the W Waters Label. This release also had some remodelling or engineering changes to the rear of the chassis.

Kept the same grill design and thin bumper line.

Can see the change on the orange chassis.

Notice the slim Superfast wheels.

Has kept the same cross member design on the chassis for the both.

The Lang Label was released in 1979 that has the changed chassis cross member mentioned before. Changed grill the wording Leyland has been shifted to above the grill in tampo labelling than on the early release. While the roof of the cab has the Livery board casted into the cab.

This round cylinder thingy bob has got me bluffed. Is it to stop the tipper over extending or is it meant to be a towing hitch or something.

The Matchbox Toys by Nancy Schiffer is no help here either.
Last Edit: 8 years, 2 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 8 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Regular wheels from 1969 to 1971.

The Leyland 37-b release in 1979 notice the same type 5 spoke wheels that were used on the Bedford.

The Lang as shown in the 1979/80 catalogue.

As shown in the 1970 catalogue.
Last Edit: 8 years, 2 months ago by GunnerJim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 8 years, 2 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I like these and remember my dad letting me drive the yard 'shunter' when I was about 10 years old,here it is....

...and heres the one Im working on...

It may be a little too short.  See how it goes.

Cheers,Frame.

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 7 years, 6 months ago #8

SGP

Junior Boarder
The protrusion you ask about at the rear of the Superfast version is a gearbox housing for the Big MX set version. Yours must be a late model just prior to being deleted. The Big MX Leyland Tipper was retooled and had a receptacle built into the front of the cab (which ruined its looks) that connected to a shaft into that rear gearbox. By inserting a special reversible hand held motor into the cab front, the tipping body would raise or lower. For this version, the hydraulic ram was omitted. Here are some Googled pics of that model and there is a You Tube video which I can't seem to load on here ... search "Matchbox Big M" (the Leyland Tipper is at the end of the video) .... 

This is the Big MX version with the receptacle on the front to receive the MX motor drive. The pin underneath is to fit into a road drive system.

Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by SGP.

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 7 years, 6 months ago #9

SGP

Junior Boarder
This is a very difficult forum to use ... bits of my post disappear, videos won't upload, can't cut and paste mistakes ... anyway, the caption to my bottom pic is re-written below .. 

This pic shows the drive shaft from the front of the cab to the rear gearbox to operate the tipping body. Note that the hydraulic rams previously used are omitted for this MX version. The modifications to the tooling meant that a standard K-4 Leyland Tipper model could no longer be made but a retool to depict a later style of Ergomatic cab was released as K-37 five years later.

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 7 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
It will be interesting to see the finished chop and join short wheel base rig there Fame69.
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 7 years, 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I think that is Frames chop and join earlier in the thread.

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 7 years, 6 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
SGP wrote:
This is a very difficult forum to use ... bits of my post disappear, videos won't upload, can't cut and paste mistakes ... anyway, the caption to my bottom pic is re-written below .. 

This pic shows the drive shaft from the front of the cab to the rear gearbox to operate the tipping body. Note that the hydraulic rams previously used are omitted for this MX version. The modifications to the tooling meant that a standard K-4 Leyland Tipper model could no longer be made but a retool to depict a later style of Ergomatic cab was released as K-37 five years later.

If you want Youtube videos on here just copy the page reference. Like this.

As to material missing from your post, that is probably a keyboard error. Happens to me all the time and if you move to another page while typing, all is lost.

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 7 years, 6 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
I think that is Frames chop and join earlier in the thread.

Do you mean in another Thread Jim that Fame had started on the Chop cut chassis.

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 7 years, 6 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
James, Post #7 above is Frames and he is doing the cut up of this truck. YOu can see the clamps holding it while he glues it. Not sure where he is though. He was on here 2 days ago so maybe he can comment or bring us up to date.

Re: Matchbox Superking Leyland Tipper K4. 7 years, 6 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I had SGP instead of Frame in my stupid post. Fixed that now. I thought he had started the chop and join somewhere else that is all.
  • Page: