Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: sears matchbox military set

sears matchbox military set 8 years, 6 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
cant seem to find any info on this item. The box has only red printing on it with the number 49-58499, along with red outlined pics of 6 vehicles. It has 6 olive drab vehicles in it, each in a box of its own. #1 mercedes truck, #2 mercedes trailer, #20 police patrol (rollomatic), #16 badger (rollomatic), #38 jeep (without gun), and #18 motorcycle. The cardboard box is about 3" x 3" x 4 1/2". rather crude 6 pack box with a single piece of tape sealing the top opening flap to the back of the box. I think it may have come as part of a playset back then. Meaning a sub-box within a larger box. The box is not packaged in a store displayable fashion. Had to be part of something else.

Not to be confused with the common 49-54032 military set with blue print...
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by cannonwillow.

Re: sears matchbox military set 8 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Sure would be nice to see a picture. Would help jog the old brain cells.

Re: sears matchbox military set 8 years, 6 months ago #3

Senior Boarder
sorry about that, the pics and box is fairly plain...

Re: sears matchbox military set 8 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Would be interested to see the individual boxes for the models, are they plain? I think this set was supplied by Matchbox to Sears to be sold mail order through its catalog hence the rather plain packaging

Re: sears matchbox military set 8 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Now this is interesting so this would have been a promo box set for Sears whoever they were.

Re: sears matchbox military set 8 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Just a shot but aren't Sears part of the Sears Roebuck group.
Whether the Sears Department stores are in the same group I dont know.
I also don't know if they are still going.

Re: sears matchbox military set 8 years, 6 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
It depends if you are talking about the english sears or the sears in the usa.
they are not the same company.

Re: sears matchbox military set 8 years, 6 months ago #8

Junior Boarder
That's the Sears Roebuck logo.  They are a 120 year old company that joined with K-Mart in 2005 to become the Sears Holdings Corporation.  They invented mail order.

Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by whipnet.

Re: sears matchbox military set 8 years, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Yes the K-Mart link forgot about that. Thanks

Re: sears matchbox military set 8 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Sears, officially named Sears Roebuck and Co., is an American chain of department stores,[2[/url] which was founded by Richard Warren Sears and Alvah Curtis Roebuck in the late 19th century. Formerly a component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average, Sears[3[/url] merged with Kmart in early 2005, creating the Sears Holdings Corporation.

Sears Canada and Sears Roebuck are two different companies. Always have been. They both do catalogues and my wife buys out of it all the time. We even have a Sears Catalogue store here in Greenwood, BC

More info

Sears Canada was formed in 1952 as a joint venture of Simpson's and United States retailer Sears, and it remains majority owned by the latter. On March 31, 2005, the majority ownership stake was officially transferred to Sears Holdings Corporation (Nasdaq: SHLD) which owns 73.1% of Sears Canada common shares, while Pershing Square Capital has 17.3%, and the remainder of the shares are publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange.[4[/url]

Currently the largest Sears stores are located in Toronto Eaton Centre and Pacific Centre in Vancouver.

They are in the process of downsizing and are closing stores across Canada.
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: sears matchbox military set 8 years, 5 months ago #11

Senior Boarder
I'm back, I'll try to take care of many loose ends I have left in these forums.  Unfortunately I do not have any of the 6 original boxes from within. I do know that I got this set for christmas sometime between 76 and 79. I asked my mom about it and she said that she probably ordered it from a sears christmas wish book. She is 82 and can still remember odd details such as this.

I think the 6 boxes contained within were plain and unmarked, but cannot be 100% sure of this. I saved most of my boxes back then but may not have if they where just plain. I have not one single box for these 6 models.

My silly comment about the 49-54032 military set with blue print was just because I seen this one online somewhere before, but cannot find it now.

6 standard boxes fit the box like a glove as shown below (I inserted a few boxes to check)

the six models, bagged and labeled, are shown below...

• Page: