Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: great garage sale score!

great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
I was visiting relatives in Kentucky for easter weekend. I stopped at a couple of nearby garage sales on the saturday before easter sunday. The nearby flea market didnt open till 9 AM so I killed time at these, turned out the flea market had nothing great). Anyways I found 2 cases, one matchbox the other hotwheels, at one of the garage sales. Here are the pics...

I peaked inside the matchbox case and quickly closed it. This what I saw...

I asked how much for the cases of cars and the lady said $5.00 a piece. I couldn't get the ten dollar bill out my pocket fast enough.

here are pictures of the contents of both cases...

Mostly pre superfast lesney and red line hotwheels! Nice farm fresh quality for the most part. I will probably sell the hotwheels and case sometime in the future, as I only collect matchbox. I dont have a good price guide for hotwheels though.

Time to catalog 'em. The fun part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fseelye

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
ask and ye shall receive.

this be the value guide for HotWheels.

texashwcollectors.org/hwguide.html#castinglist

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #3

What a great find, I see some MB's that I would like to have.

You did very well on those, would have paid a tenner per case easily

Do I spot a Tow Joe with different colored booms in the Hotwheels case?

Pieces of cattle present too, man, this was your lucky day for sure.

PLease show some more photos of the MB

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Holy cow, what a bargain! Most of these seem to be in very near perfect condition, and like Theo also noted, it even includes cattle... plus some other loose stuff in the back of the Cunningham tipper!

I bet half of the tc-community is green with envy... yours truly included! Congrats!

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #5

Senior Boarder
here are pics of the regular wheel lesney's. I already cataloged, bagged, and labeled them. Been using PVC free oversized trading card sleeves recently. I do this because I store them in regular blue tray cases. Has to be better than the baggies I have used since the early 80's. Never had a problem with the baggies BTW (sticking or whatever). Loose in the tray allows too much movement.

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Wow is right. You have cattle yes and you also have the raves for the hay trailer. Always those are missing. It that wrecker has been colored the other way, Green cab and yellow back, I would be worth a fortune. The colors on most are bright. Is that the E type jag that is playworn, the Red metallic one beside the red Snow Track, another rarer version. You have the ladder and the words on the Air Port Crash tender and the decal on the front of the snow plough looks new. This is indeed a fantastic score, who cares about the Hot Wheels. Give them to a local charity or fire hall for the kids at christmas. They will love it and you have 10 times your money spent in the Matchbox alone. Bet you get well over $100 if you sold them all individually. I am most definatley jealous, for sure.

Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #7

Senior Boarder
missing or broke:  tracks from 8-D caterpillar Trac missing, tip of the hook is bitten off tow truck, windshield of the mercedes gone, hook on crane truck bitten off, no tracs on the snow trac, rear wheels on the cattle truck are missing. Strange that the cattle truck has its rear door attached and one of the cattle yet is missing the rear wheels/axle.

But the snow plow, bulldozer, concrete truck, ford tractor, hay trailer, unimog & crash tender are near mint. With the exception of the Jag and cattle truck the rest are just slightly nicked on some of the edges. The colors all do look nice and bright overall with the possible exception of the jag.

The biggest gem in this lot (at least to me) is the snow plow. I have 2 of them in my collection but one is missing the plow and the other has a broken plow

I'm smiling just as much as my dog (pictured in my avatar). I got his playful growling expression by telling him its time for a shower.

Thanks for the hotwheels link RVREVO

RoutemasterNL, I think your looking at the Hotwheels antifreeze Deura. No tow joe in this find.

Nobelco, I think the metallic red, clear window, black tire version of the jaguar is the most common variety of this model.

Does anyone know what the horse in the back of the tipper goes to. It has a big hole on its right side. round on the surface but square at the bottom.

Opps... The jag and fire truck were from before this lot. Makes more sense considering the condition of the jag. They were not yet combined with the rest, sitting in a temp blue plastic tray.
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by cannonwillow.

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
use small resealable bags meself when they go into the trays. ofcourse my boxed models have a similar system Models in plastic bag into the original box and those go into a plastic see-thru display case.

bit better when its airtight especially to fight off the subtropical weather in my location.

Does anyone know what the horse in the back of the tipper goes to. It has a big hole on its right side. round on the surface but square at the bottom.

Would that be the yellow/grey Dodge Cattletruck? Just a cow I think.

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #9

Senior Boarder
Here's a cropped and closer view of the horse. Dont feel like breaking out the camera ATM.

I wrap my boxed models in tissue, just a little depends on the amount required to prevent rattle but not so much as to bulge the box. Sometimes a little extra just on the flap ends.

Loose skybusters have to be the worst as far as storing, protecting, and organizing, and without using a stupid amount of space. I currently just use baggies with twist ties. I put a detailed description paper note in each bag and cut off the excess plastic left by the twist tie. All placed in a shoe box. Not exactly in order. My wife restricts my availabe display space! 

starting to derail my own thread, once again...
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by cannonwillow.

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
could be from a horse-drawn carriage.

here's an example

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Who's a lucky boy then. Man this is what we all dream of finding such a super bargain. well done to you sir.

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #12

Senior Boarder
RVREVO, I do think the white plastic horse goes to some sort of chariot/wagon/or carriage type toy like you mentioned. probably a 2 horse one with this being the one on the left side. Since it only has a hole on the right side. Its not a very detailed horse compared to most so its probably some cheap toy.

I have a bag of unknown mysterious small plastic toy pieces. I will have to post them sometime and see if anyone can figure out what they go to. What would be the best area in the forums to post this. They could be from any type of toy (or even not even from a toy). Has this been done before in these forums. I imagine it has to have been.

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Not something like you suggest but I will look to see where it might be best suited.

BRB

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Okay, you might want to put it into Guessing games but it is not really a game, is it?

The other place would be start a thread in Restorations, Customs and Code 3's. If you have a whole bunch start up a Can You ID these Parts in the guessing game or the 50 of this or that threads. All should get traffic. I will look into an Identification set of threads for here in the mean time and we can move it there if Admin thinks it will fit in and work.

Re: great garage sale score! 8 years, 6 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
I have asked Admin if maybe there could be  a Can you ID this part or this item. Or Do YOu know What This belongs to. A section where you can ask about parts and toys you have know idea about. not just in the Dinky or Corgi or HOt Wheels sections or the general chat but a section of its own.We shall see what they say.
  • Page: