Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: #35 snow trac

#35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
How do people keep the tracs from breaking. They are like thin glass

the trac does not change shape when removed. How can I trust that the box is factory original when the tracs have no chance of being original As in the following pic...

Its not the same as replacing a fan belt on a 1970 426 hemi cuda. More like a straight 6 duster upgraded to a 318.

why do they repaint, barely nick the corners and destroy the true value..

cant be shadows in both spots that normally get less paint from factory (3 spots looking closer / per side I imagine). Anti-overspray...  Or reversed red luminicity. I invent my own words at times BTW.
Last Edit: 8 years, 7 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Fortunately I'm not too fussed if it's restored or not. Repro tracks are easier to get nowadays. I used an elastic band for a while and later a pair tracks from the buldozers I bought as spare parts.

Mine is still in original playworn condition
Last Edit: 8 years, 7 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #3

Senior Boarder

I wrap them in tissue and shake the box. If the box still rattles, not enough tissue. Blister packs are so much better...
Last Edit: 8 years, 7 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Almost all rubber tracks go hard or brittle after enough time has passed. It is the nature of rubber from that time period. I have quite a few customers replacing tracks on a regular basis so I keep a good stock on hand at all time.

The new replacement tracks, when fit to the proper vehicle should last for years and years. Rubber production has improved since the 1960's

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
so yes, your snowtrac is genuine as the rubber is hard.

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #6

Senior Boarder
I know its genuine. I stopped collecting around 1984. Only added a few things since then and before around 3 months ago. All recent additions are factory sealed and 90's or later stuff. Store bought and garage/yard sale bought before '84 is not likely to be fake. Only a 28 year break from collecting matchbox. BTW, I have no boxes for any of my pre superfast 1-75 models at all. Really seems like a lot of boxes going around. didnt anyone use cases in the 60's and/or rip the ends off the boxes when first opened. Then again I do still have most of my orignal store bought lesney SF boxes, but I did buy mostly blister packs back then.

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I'm quite happy with my ten Deluxe cases.

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
You even have a list of what is in them too. Nice.

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
a little out of date at the moment, but it did help complete it quicker when I was searching to fill the gaps.

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #10

Senior Boarder
I'm quite happy with my ten Deluxe cases.

I am happy a few normal cases from '66, only have a couple deluxe '68 cases. I dont use them cause the cordboard sucs...

Not talking about the blue plastic trays used in '68 and later. Still use them for storage even though the plastic breaks like ice cube trays from time to time. Anyways, does anybody know how to match a particluar blue 12 car tray with any particlular case. I really hope this goes unanswered. Possible plastic blue tray variations within a case is not where die cast collectors need to go...

Ok enough with cases. I was actually cataloging cases tonight
Last Edit: 8 years, 7 months ago by cannonwillow.

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
as a matter of fact...

but that's another topic if you want to discuss cases further

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder

I have one of these. however where it has a raised snow trac on the side, mine has a white snow trac decal.

I wonder why they changed the casting?

The wheels appear to be different unless it is a trick of the light

This one will become a resto eventually
Last Edit: 8 years, 7 months ago by ixtis1965.

Re: #35 snow trac 8 years, 7 months ago #13

I do have both issues. Only had to fix new white tracks

It is a neat little vehicle
  • Page: