Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: magnets?

magnets? 8 years, 8 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
Does anyone know anything about these magnets? Other than they were made in Hong Kong, under license from lesney, and are from about the same superfast era. They also have the same number on the back as the actual matchbox car would have.

Cant seem to find anything online or from the few books I have.

Curious as to if any of the magnets (with same #) were made in both left and right facing directions. 3 of mine face right and 9 of them face left

Here are the pics (front and back)

Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by cannonwillow.

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
I'll have a look. They look vaguelly familiar. Not sure if they were from a crackerbox promo or part and parcel with the toycars , at least in certain countries only considering how many you have

give me a couple of seconds...

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
ok, the logo would suggest the early 1970's Superfast range.

Found a photo through Google Images that showed a bunch of accessories as a VECTIS lot.

Thats the only lot I found so far.

I'll have to look up in my catalogs if anything was mentioned, I suspect it was as they are clearly a Matchbox product.

Richard K

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #4

Senior Boarder
Looking at that image you posted of the VECTIS lot reminded me of something. I rooted through the old matchbox closet and found a bag full of the mini flexies.

Think I'll give them a bath and sort em out...

I think I chewed on some of them when I was a kid

Last Edit: 8 years, 7 months ago by cannonwillow.

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #5

Never seen them over here in The Netherlands. Nice collection Cannonwillow!

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
typical of Matchbox to cater for different markets.

I've collected several 75-series that were made either for Japan only or for the US only and weren't easily available anywhere else.

Also took a lesson to heart that I can't collect everything... just a lot.

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Interesting as I have never seen the magnets or the flexies

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #8

Senior Boarder
Here are pics of the front and back for the different mini flexies. I am pretty sure all of them in my collection came from these 3 cards (not literally). Back then I would have made sure to keep at least 1 of each different card. Unfortunately as a kid I kept very little unopened. Including the flexies.

I decided against giving them a bath as they are supposed to be erasers! Just a slight damp soft cloth patting.

I have 6 different skybuster model designs and 10 different superfast model designs. Interesting since there were 4 to a card. Cant complete a set of 10 with 2 sets of 4....

Probably every model came in every color. 1 plane is purple, 1 plane is lime green, 2 cars are grey (or probably colorless), 2 cars are brown, The rest are pink, orange, green, blue, or yellow. This is of the ones that are in my collection.

I will post complete pics, counts, etc. sometime in the near future. Gives me a chance to work on my picture skills.

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Never knew they these Matchbox magnets and erasers existed. Interesting something else to look out for.
Last Edit: 8 years, 7 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #10

Senior Boarder
I have narrowed down the year of the magnets to 1976, In 1977 the Big Banger was replaced and in 1975 the Siva Spyder was still red. I think the mini flexies were produced in the same year also. I guess there is a chance they were made in 1977 with a delay over actual model manufacturing time. But I doubt it.

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I think the big clue to vintage is in the Matchbox Logo.

that one was used between 1975 to 1982

Re: magnets? 8 years, 7 months ago #12

Senior Boarder
2 pack variety changes everything I thought I knew about mini flexies. I do not think eraser cars are the exactly the same as mini flexies.

• Page: