what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin?

what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
straight, angled in, or angled out. obviously not smooth nor painted. To me it seems left is angled in and right is angled out

Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by cannonwillow.

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #2

Senior Boarder
heres a better view directly from the back. I seem to always have less valuable uneven models like this...

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #3

I think the mistake started with the paint job, they painted the inside of the hub red

I can can see some silver paint m(or no paint in this case I think) on the right wheel

It is a guess, but I could be right 

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #4

Senior Boarder
I see what your saying about the red around the inner side on the outer part of the right side wheel. Wow that is good eye to detail. I have looked at it for 20 plus years and never noticed that!

other pics....

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #5

Senior Boarder
Actually upon closer inspection the left side has red on the inside of the hub also, just not very much

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
All that is is overspray from painting it at the factory.

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
the allchin wheels on the matchbox model are wrong .

the picture below shows that the strakes (the angled treads) should face backwards and outwards  not as on the matchbox model both the same way

they are used the same as car tyers for grip

the person who loaded the wheels for painting painted them all one way instead of turning half of them around 

is it poor quality control or are there other models out there with the strakes faceing the otherway or fitted correctly?  

this is a picture of an allchin scale 1.5 inches to the foot and is live steam  

Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by LUFF.

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
you mean this one??? From looking at my own model I think its genuine.

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I think what Luff is saying that in real life those wheels have left and right tread grip. This stops the traction from slipping to one side when power is applied and the tread starts to lose grip, thus sliding to one side.

The Britians Ltd very early 18 inch Howitzer has the angle tread running right and left. Britains later changed the patten grip to straight so there could use one die mould to fit all.

Straight tread.

Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
in a way yes jim that is right but also the thrust pushes the wheels inwards, with the wheels as in your picture one wheel pushes inward the other pushes outward and puts pressure on the pin that holds the wheel on, remember there are no bearings just wheel on shaft.
anyway i just wanted to show the correct wheels but also that there could be four ways to put the wheels on the matchbox model.

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
I had to take a picture of the first Britains Ltd Howitzer gun that was commissed by Britains Ltd in 1920 showing the off set tread eventhough the wheels are universal and can be swapped around. The angle iron that used to be bolted on to the wheels for traction was called a Strake and were taken off for those who wanted to use the flat wheel surface on the roads. Some came with the Strake moulded into the iron wheel rim. Those traction engines had great pulling power but at walking speed only.

Myabe I will search for some real traction engines.

Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
You cannot get any bigger than this foot print type traction.

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
great picture

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #14

Is that you James?

Re: what variation of wheels is this for Y1 Allchin? 8 years, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Yes Mate me and the wife.
  • Page: