wrong wheels left to right side for merryweather fire engine LS-35-A (1969)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: wrong wheels left to right side for merryweather fire engine LS-35-A (1969)

wrong wheels left to right side for merryweather fire engine LS-35-A (1969) 8 years, 8 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
I believe it is supposed to be model f07 from the following data base: 

http://www.mbxforum.com/11-Catalogs/02-M...-Documents/LS35a.doc

5 arch front wheels and dot dash rear wheels, with the front wheels being taller than the rear wheels.

this is a picture of the left side:

way it should be.

next is a picture of the right side

notice the smaller dot dash wheels are mistakenly in front.

picture of bottom:

as can be seen front left and rear right are taller tires than the other 2, a rather lopsided ride...

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: wrong wheels left to right side for merryweather fire engine LS-35-A (1969) 8 years, 8 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
A common problem from the Lesney factory, lot's of Matchbox out there with wrong fitted wheels. I guess Quality Control was not a big thing back then or lack of concentration from some worker's has resulted in this problem.

Re: wrong wheels left to right side for merryweather fire engine LS-35-A (1969) 8 years, 8 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
do not think it is poor quality control ,when a worker is on piece work and gets a penny per model as long as the wheels looked right the model has got wheels and the worker got payed ( lledo had the same problem). 
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by LUFF.

Re: wrong wheels left to right side for merryweather fire engine LS-35-A (1969) 8 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
That would be a left right. right left installation as they would flip the model over. I would say it was bordom the did it. Left right, left right is much easier to do and if they were installing the same wheels front and back there would be no problem. Change the toy and the procedure and you get mistakes like this factory flaw. Some people would place a higher value on the toy for that very reason. I don't, it is just a mistake that should not have happened. Does not increase the value in my opinion.

Also, with the wheels installed that way it must sit lop sided.
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: wrong wheels left to right side for merryweather fire engine LS-35-A (1969) 8 years, 8 months ago #5

Senior Boarder
I dont give it any extra value either. Its what I would call an uneven error. could just as easily been right side correct and left side incorrect. Similiar to miscut sports cards from the 60/70's. Used to have more value if miscut (by late 70's early 80's era evaluation),.now perfect cut and centering is so much more valuable for trading cards. If both wheels on the front were small and both in back were large I would say it was a little more valueable. Uneveness should never be desired in collectables. Coin collectors are not right in the head BTW...
  • Page: