Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords

Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
Was trying to figure out which variety I have for the following 2 matchbox models. According to this list

http://www.mbxforum.com/11-Catalogs/02-M...-Documents/MI038.doc

Bases of both. Model A Ford, made in China, 1979, Mathbox INT'L Ltd.

One is Kelloggs Raisen Bran with DR 5869 license plate, other is Kelloggs Frosted Mini Wheats with KG 6567 license plate. I was thinking they were  493 and 496 respectively. Only problem is that base should be K code for raised 'made in china', instead of J code. I cannot find varietys of the K code type with these license plates. BTW what does bold print mean within this list and/or should I be looking at something different to catalog my varietys...

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
The bold text is for different tampos on the same colorway in the same release. In other words, one red vehicle in the series may have a tampo while an otherwise identical vehicle in the same release may not. It's a sub-variation. As to which number yours are, I'm not knowledgeable enough about the system to even guess.
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by StarbaseBravo.

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #3

I do have a special catalogue for the MB 38's that were issued.
When I find it I shall have a look

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
up to 2004 there were over 435 known variations. This amount has increased to almost 500 to date.

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #5

I made these photos earlier, so when I find the catalogue I shall look for the models requested

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Hiya Theo,

can you look this one up for me please?

It was one of 350 made for the NZ Model Diecast Club 10th Anniversary.

Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #7

Hello Canonwillow

these were 2 different MB38 Kellogs Ford A cars that I found in my catalogue:

Pages taken from the Model A Ford Vans reference book by Paul Carr 

Hope this helps.

Best Regards:RoutemasterNL

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #8

Hiya Theo, 

can you look this one up for me please?

It was one of 350 made for the NZ Model Diecast Club 10th Anniversary. 

Richard,

Sorry mate, the book covers up to the end of 1989 so your very nice club model is not mentioned

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Hiya Theo,

never mind about the Code2 blank model. I figure that wouldn't be in the books as its a special limited model.

However am curious if my 'Lion Group Of Wholesalers' would've made it in.

Was limited to 10.000 units.

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Ah the pain to collect MB38 Model A van, which i gave up collecting just because of the amount of variants there is, had about 80 version's and sold them DOH! Such a nice casting it is, maybe when i've moved house and found a myself a job i will start again.

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #11

Senior Boarder
drives me crazy that of the 700 plus varietys listed for this model, I cant figure mine out.

1) kelloggs frosted mini wheats, made in china - type K, and with license plate that starts with KG.

2) kellogs raisen bran, made in chine -type K, and with license plate that starts with DR.

trying to precisely identify varietys hurts the brain...

I still have both in the factory sealed bags they came in from the mail in promo
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by cannonwillow.

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #12

Senior Boarder
Heres a picture of the 3 kelloggs model 38's I have. 2 are still factory sealed in the bags.

pictures of the 2 plates that dont conform to made in china known varietys...

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #13

Hello Richard

Your 'Lion Group Of Wholesalers'  made it in the book

Re: Curious about which variety number is correct for 2 MI 38 Model A Fords 8 years, 8 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
That is nice to see.
  • Page: