Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Retail displays

Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
Hello

Apologies if this has been covered before but does anyone remember the great shop displays Matchbox did in the '70's? When I was a boy the newsagents in our town had a revolving plastic display case that the little illustrated card boxes sat in, so you could see what they had. It was a fabulous way to display them & it worked as I nagged my mum to buy them me regularly.

The thing I also remember was that the bloke in the shop when you'd selected one would sit on the floor of the shop, take the model out of the box & whizz it along the floor in the shop to "test the wheels". I'm pretty sure he also enjoyed selling the cars himself !

Cheers

Dave

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Welcome Webley, I have fond memories of these great display cases, I mention one in topic Matchbox car case, the sweet shop at the bottom of my road where I bought most of my Matchbox late 70's early 80's had a wall display with the 75 models plus a couple of spaces for new model. I also remember a shop which had a shaped revolving one & the shop keeper took the red lid of it when you bought a model , as he kept the boxes in the centre of it. I also remember a fantastic toy shop in Green street opposite Upton Park Station ,near to the old West Ham Utd ground, called "Chambers" you went downstairs for the Boys toys & they had great displays of Dinky & Corgi as well as a great window display of cars sitting on their boxes.
Last Edit: 6 years, 5 months ago by Andy66.

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #3

Senior Boarder
Hello, thanks for the welcome.

Yes those displays were interesting items in their own right. They certainly added to the experience for a small boy. I can remember pressing my nose against the window of the shop eagerly scanning what was in it.

Todays sealed window type packaging often just hung on shelves in supermarkets aren't quite the same somehow.

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Great topic but if your looking to buy one of these displays, be prepared to spend a lot of money unless you can find one at a fair you can bring home yourself. They are fantastic at displaying your collection. A buddy, who just passed away, had a couple of the early Hot Wheels revolving displays as well as a Matchbox one or two. Over 30,000 toys take lots of space to display and most if not all of his were on display last time I talked to him, a couple months ago.
Last Edit: 6 years, 5 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Have a look here...

matchboxclub.com/

These are reproductions of original Matchbox wall displays.

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webley

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
That tall stand is not cheap £149.99 plus shipping if your not in England

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #7

Senior Boarder
That tall stand is sooo cool. It's a lot of money but I do rather like it.

Certainly a good excuse to buy lots of cars in order to fill it !

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
In July 2015 the Dutch NAMAC organized a big 50th anniversary exhibition, consisting of over one hundred contributions by members. One of them had an incredible 'display of displays', all Matchbox and Models of Yesteryear. They date from 1964, 1965 and 1966 and are all filled with the orginal contents. I don't know if this is what you mean, or are they too early? If you do appreciate I may post some more detailed shots of this cabinet. Kind regards, Jan 

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
That is quite the display. I have not seen that before, I don't think. Sure would be nice to have than in your basement or Den

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #10

Senior Boarder
They are earlier than I meant Janwerner however they are still fabulous looking things & thanks for showing those pictures. A look at some more detailed shots would be great.

Cheers

Dave
Last Edit: 6 years, 5 months ago by Webley.

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
OK, two fair pictures below (always hard to take without reflections). This collector has been collecting Matchbox for over forty years. The displays were extremely hard to find and came from England, America, Australia and even Argentina and Syria. Kind regards, Jan

Last Edit: 6 years, 5 months ago by janwerner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #12

Senior Boarder
Wow, cool things they look just great, thanks for the pics

As an aside I saw one of those BP tankers on a car-boot sale the other day. Nice looking little vehicle.

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
TheRollerman wrote:
Have a look here...

matchboxclub.com/

These are reproductions of original Matchbox wall displays.

Rollerman.

Pity, they're all out of stock!

At Least I have a display cabinet.
Last Edit: 6 years, 5 months ago by 143Madness.

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Webley wrote:
Wow, cool things they look just great, thanks for the pics

As an aside I saw one of those BP tankers on a car-boot sale the other day. Nice looking little vehicle.

Last Edit: 6 years, 5 months ago by janwerner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, blackstone

Re: Retail displays 6 years, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
The only way into that tanker was through the panel behind the front 'BP' logo, note the Chromed handle directly above the 'BP' sign.

Rollerman.
  • Page: