Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!

TOPIC: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #76

Platinum Boarder
No. 64 MG 1100

1962-1968 MG 1100

The 1100, with its transverse engine, integral gearbox and Hydrolastic suspension, was a  revolutionary car. The 55bhp MG1100 was launched a year after the Austin/Morris versions had established their place in the car market and it too was a success with nearly 117,000 cars produced.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #77

Platinum Boarder
Matchbox #22b Vauxhall Cresta

The advert of this car says: everyone drives better in a Vauxhall. Well all I can say, I never sat in one so I cannot share the experience.

But even Queen Elisabeth drove one, albeit an Estate, so it must be true.

Last Edit: 7 years ago by Ecclesley.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #78

Platinum Boarder
#14 Matchbox Daimler Ambulance

As a kid I got the odd Matchbox model from my elder sisters, which made me happy and I played with them almost to destruction. This Daimler was one of them, and somehow I never liked it. Police cars, Firetrucks and Ambulances never my cuppa Rosie Lee.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #79

Platinum Boarder
Matchbox #27 Cadillac Sixty Special

Big, bigger, huge.

This car of 5,6 meter in length and a sniff over 2 mtr. in width must have been a handful to drive on narrow roads or to park anywhere.

But despite its size, is still has a lot of elegance, it is a real Caddy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: fseelye

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #80

Platinum Boarder
That is a beauty and they are not that hard to drive, at all. Power everything and a huge engine. You just needed an acre to turn around in, as the saying used to go....

Last Edit: 7 years ago by Nobleco.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #81

Platinum Boarder
1975 HJ Holden Ute.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #82

Platinum Boarder
I can't imagine there are many Rolls Royce Fire Engines so this one might have to do as a comparison. I include a utility that may be converted when we can afford it.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #83

Platinum Boarder
Pininfarina BMC-1800 Berlina-Aerodinamica, 1967

This gorgeous car predates the Citroën CX by seven years. One wonders how BMC may have fared had they the courage to put this beauty into production. That’s assuming the company could afford it, and such a complex car could be produced.
This brilliant Pininfarina styling exercise was never considered for production. The running gear was pure BMC 1800, but the style was utterly unique for 1967.

Last Edit: 7 years ago by Dinkydi.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #84

Platinum Boarder
I always found the RR fire engine very peculiar. This is what it says on the back of the box:

"Purchased on behalf of Borough Green and District for £26.00 the Rolls Royce was converted into a fire engine in 1933 for a total cost of £100.00. Dennis fire fighting equipment was used on the model which had a rating of 40/50 horse power and rear-brakes only. The converted model saw extensive service in Kent during the Second World War."
Last Edit: 7 years ago by Teebodk.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #85

Platinum Boarder
So there may be photos of the car out there somewhere ?

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #86

Platinum Boarder
Dinkydi wrote:
So there may be photos of the car out there somewhere ?

You mean this? Here some history 

bgphotos.wordpress.com/docs/fire-engine/

Last Edit: 7 years ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dinkydi

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #87

Platinum Boarder
What a great story, Gerrit, I didn't know these details! Of the many later, 1970s-80s, Models of Yesteryear it is only this one - and the coal lorry - that I did never sell. Perhaps, on a future occasion, you might provide me with a higher resolution pic of the real one? Kind regards, Jan
Last Edit: 7 years ago by janwerner.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #88

Platinum Boarder
janwerner wrote:
What a great story, Gerrit, I didn't know these details! Of the many later, 1970s-80s, Models of Yesteryear it is only this one - and the coal lorry - that I did never sell. Perhaps, on a future occasion, you might provide me with a higher resolution pic of the real one? Kind regards, Jan

Sorry Jan this is the only picture available. But maybe I can find another one somewhere, who knows?

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #89

Platinum Boarder
A Ghost fire truck from the Hong Kong Fire Brigade which shares some looks with the MOY car:

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 7 years ago #90

Platinum Boarder
MOY Jaguar Y1 SS100

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, CollectorandrestorerMark