Transitional Superfast 1969-70
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transitional Superfast 1969-70

Transitional Superfast 1969-70 4 years ago #1

Senior Boarder

I decided as a way to initiate myself into Diecast Planet, I'd share some photos of some of my models while starting a topic at the same time. I've found that as I got back into collecting Matchbox, the era that attracts the most attention from me is the switch to Superfast wheels. When this happened in late 1969-70, it created quite a few HTF models, cars with Superfast wheels but with their regular wheel colors (and a few regular wheel cars in Superfast colors even harder to find). Shown are nine from my collection all with Superfast-stamped F boxes: 25A Cortina (tan), 46A Mercedes (blue), 67A VW 1600 (red), 33A Lamborghini (yellow), 8A Mustang  (white), 64A MG 1100 (green), 15A VW Beetle (cream), 62A Cougar  (yellow-green), 27A Mercedes (cream). I'll try to get more photos up here, but please share your pics and thoughts about your favourites from this turning point in Matchbox history!

www.planetdiecast.com/index5.php?option=com_tcfile
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO, blackstone, fseelye

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 4 years ago #2

That is a nice mint and boxed collection you have got.
The MGA is my favorite, with the dog sticking his head out of the window

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 4 years ago #3

Senior Boarder

Thanks for your reply! I like the MG as well, the hardest of these for me to get in its Regular wheel green color. A strange crack in the front windshield, could have been factory, but displays well and glad to have it. Above is another group for those who like emergency vehicles, seven models looking sharper in their new Superfast wheels to get them to their emergency sites much faster! In front, the 3A Mercedes Ambulance, 59A Ford Galaxie Fire Chief, and 55A Mercury Parklane Police Car. The latter two would be replaced in 1971. Next are 57A Land Rover Fire Truck, 54A Cadillac Ambulance, and 29A Fire Pumper Truck. You would have had to grab these quickly in 1970, as all three were replaced with new models during the course of this year. In back is the late-1969 Merryweather Fire Engine, originally planned as a regular wheel model with unpainted prototypes (pricey!) around to match. Artwork on the F box for this one also shows a regular wheel model. A good bunch overall for collectors, as values have increased on several of these due to their limited time originally available.
Last Edit: 4 years ago by CKlaus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO, RoutemasterNL, fseelye

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 4 years ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Very nice to see these models mint & boxed , you have a very nice collection there.

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 4 years ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Nice cars and collecting a set of certain brands or makes can be a difficult task. NIce to see you have a good start.
Thanks for the link to the photo gallery. Wondered where that went.

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 4 years ago #6

Senior Boarder
Yes, had to reload that photo. Still a novice, but half my dialog loaded at a smaller print size, so I went in to reedit. Fun to share our treasures though! Here's a few more, racing cars from that era. The 19A Lotus Racing Car, looking spiffy at the end of its run in metallic purple, along with the new 34A Formula One Racer, 45A Ford Group Six, and 68A Porsche 910. And in the middle is the classic 41A Ford GT, now making a quick run as a Superfast until 1972. It also appeared in metallic bronze, and later in the decade as a Bulgarian, Hungarian AND Japanese model.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO, RoutemasterNL

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 4 years ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Interesting items CKlaus and many thanks for the photos. Small scales and Matchboxes can be an interesting subject and glad its covered here on this forum too!

Must upload a few of mine up, as about 5 years ago I collected all the Superfasts from my early days before the age of 5/6 and it was nice to track my "old friends" down again!

I even bought two in their original boxes, and that was the red Ford pick up with white plastic canopy and the gold Rolls Royce Silver Shadow convertible.

The Merryweather fire engine as another but I bought it unboxed and the bronze/orange Mercedes 300E. Interesting to see the transitional wheels version in metallic blue, the colour and casting of the earlier regular wheels version which had opening doors.

The bronze ones doors were cast shut sadly.

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 4 years ago #8

Senior Boarder

Thanks for sharing! Like you, it was fun for me to track those "old friends" down again after so many years. You mentioned the Mercedes (46A), one of my favourites as you can see in this photo. Another look at that blue one, alongside two goldens with opening doors. In front are two more with their doors sealed shut, one the lightest gold and one the darkest bronze of all of them. But that's what makes this so much fun. Hunting, discovering, scoring a treasure! Have a great week!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO, RoutemasterNL, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 4 years ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I have a few of those shown as well as No. 22 Pontiac GP which I think comes in three shades of purple. 

Also No. 56 BMC Pininfarina.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO, blackstone, RoutemasterNL, CollectorandrestorerMark, fseelye

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 3 years, 12 months ago #10

Senior Boarder
More great models. I'm wondering if your Pontiac is what is considered "mid-purple," which from what I can tell from other photos has a bit more of a pink-reddish tone. I have the other two, light and dark purple. The darkest tone really looks amazing, but any of them are great to have in a collection. Seems to be one of the most sought after of the first Superfasts.

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 3 years, 12 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
The old Toy Collector days of gallery and albums have all frozen up or gone just like Claus disappeared.

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 3 years, 12 months ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Not sure what a true transitional Superfast model is, but just for Mark, here is one of my Gold Rolls-Royce convertibles next to the harder to find Lime Green version.

Hope you like!

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 3 years, 12 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Nice pics Rollerman, I think my MB superfast Rolls Shadow convertible is the darker gold one, like on the left.

The term transitionals, is the term give by some Matchbox collectors to the Superfasts which were the first to use the freer running thin axle, and smoother wheeled cars in the range, which came after the early Black plastic wheeled versions. Most of the models were conversions of the earlier BPW ones (they are also called "Regular wheels").

Transition means a gradual change or halfway point, so these first Superfasts were a thinner wheel design (more in scale with the real vehicle) before the next Superfasts which had wider wheels and started to look more like a Caricature of the car with non realistic chunkier wheels.

A few models had all 3 wheel designs with the same casting, one example being the Ford Zodiac MK4 which had the opening bonnet. It had regular, transitional and "full fat" Superfast wheels. The final design paved the way for the 1970's Matchbox superfast and 1-75 range and into the 1980's and 90's.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 3 years, 12 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Thank you on your thread concerning transitional Matchbox wheel change and the information about the Ford Zodiac MK4 having actually three wheel changes in its tooling and production history.

Well done cheers.

Re: Transitional Superfast 1969-70 3 years, 12 months ago #15

Senior Boarder

Thanks Mark for the details of Lesney's wheel changes in their production going into the Superfast years, and everyone's cmoments and photos! The No. 53 Ford Zodiac is an excellent model to reference to describe what they did. Shown on the left rear is the regular wheel Zodiac on an E-style box which debuted in 1968, with two types - Regular and Superfast - of F boxes next to it. Up front are three metallic green Superfast Zodiacs, each in a darker shade going left to right, two with thin wheels and the darkest one on the right with wide wheels. The last production of this car (rear right) featured a non-metallic lime green, also with wide wheels, and was replaced by the Tanzara in 1972. I laughed when I read the term "full fat" in describing the wider wheel type that Lesney used from that point on!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO, RoutemasterNL, CollectorandrestorerMark
  • Page: