Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it?

Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it? 4 years ago #1

Platinum Boarder

Re: Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it? 4 years ago #2

Expert Boarder
Ido like hotrods and customs but this one is far overdone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO

Re: Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it? 4 years ago #3

Platinum Boarder
To me it's a symbol of the decline of "proper" toy/model-cars. Very early toy cars were often/mostly generic and crude, partly because of limitations in manufacturing technology, but surely also because marque awareness was limited, especially among kids, so toy makers didn't need to make faithful reproductions of actual cars, just a "racer" or a "coupe" would do.

After WWII that all began to change, and toy makers like Corgi and Dinky soon started to make increasingly realistic models of actual cars. In the beginning they had no interiors or "working features" so the crafters did their very best to make extremely detailed castings, since this was the only area in which they could shine. Some of Dinky's american cars of the 50's are still shining examples even to this day.

Then came glazings, interiors, steering and finally working/opening features. Toy makers were competing for licenses of the latest car models, and to make them as realistic as possible. In some cases the toy cars were even launched on the same day as the real ones.

But it all ended in disaster when Hot Wheels emerged on the scene with a opening statement something like "why spend so much on realism? all the kids care about is speed and kapow-wow factor! Make your toy cars HOT and they'll sell like hot cakes!"

The success of Hot Wheels soon proved that they were onto something - this, and rising production/development costs, convinced the big makers, one by one, to follow in the footsteps of Hot Wheels. Big, fast wheels, 'noisy' stickers, huge dragster engines, neon colors and other 'bling' became the new black. Realism was a thing of the past and many glorious toy car brands even started inventing fantasy cars to save on licensing costs... and because without real life restrictions, they could make the cars even "hotter" than a real car could ever be for physical reasons - just think of the Matchbox Super Kings "Shovel Nose" as a prime example.

Thankfully, over time, the realistic toy cars have slowly returned to some degree, although the glory days of the late 60s will never be reached again. We do have extremely detailed and realistic modern models, but they're meant for adult collectors - there's still a gap where (semi-)sturdy toy cars with opening features, painted grilles/lights and rubber tires used to be.

This Matchbox car is a prime example of the 'downfall' described above: huge, fast wheels, huge engine, 'noisy' sticker and focus entirely on the engine and exhausts, not on the detailing of the body/grille/lights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it? 4 years ago #4

Platinum Boarder
"Teebodk" has taken the words right out of my mouth and summed it up with 100% accuracy.

I agree with that gap still exisiting in the market and it is really only the 'VANGAURDS' range that has tried to fit into that gap pretending to be the Corgi and Dinky from the Sixties.

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO

Re: Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it? 4 years ago #5

Platinum Boarder
quite honestly, I do not know why i keep it at all.

likely to be a good seller at some stage.

Re: Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it? 4 years ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Well the driver wouldn't see out the windscreen very well................

Re: Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it? 4 years ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Hah, ain't that the truth.

And then there were a few more funny cars.

Maybe this was supposed to be a toy... for children.

Re: Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it? 4 years ago #8

Platinum Boarder
That reminds me, I must get the car tuned up.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RVREVO, fseelye

Re: Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it? 4 years ago #9

Platinum Boarder
keeping it real

Re: Below is a photo of an unusual Matchbox car. What do you think of it? 4 years ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Needs a bit of air in that front tyre...!!

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fseelye
  • Page: