Postal Order Matchbox/Dinky collections
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Postal Order Matchbox/Dinky collections

Postal Order Matchbox/Dinky collections 7 years, 6 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Late 1980s until late 1990s, just before the millenia and ebay was in its infancy taking the world through a buying prowess revolution. There was a short period for collecting postal order model cars every month, or on layby. 

This was the time of no Internet banking,  no paypal. How did we ever survive?

My collections are incomplete, due to the postal order company ceasing to exist. But most of the cars did get revamped during the millenia as new collectibles.

Re: Postal Order Matchbox/Dinky collections 7 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Interesting, never heard of the collection but I remember Matchbox Dinkies. I still have 2 of those but in totally different colours but a bit less detail. They are the '53 Buick convertible in blue and a gold 1958 Studebaker Goldenhawk.

I also remember the '67 Mustang fastback in a darkish metallic green, around 1990.

Re: Postal Order Matchbox/Dinky collections 7 years, 6 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I remember when Tyco took over Matchbox and moved to selling Models of Yesteryear and Dinky via mail order. I think the move pretty much killed those series off but the models themselves are not particularly easy to find and there are some nice re-colours of previously issued Dinky Collection models as well as new issues (which were generally from other ranges but with new baseplates). I have the Dinky Nash Metropolitan and Wolesley Hornet in my cabinet.

Re: Postal Order Matchbox/Dinky collections 7 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Stag tuned for my MoY steam collection. Also incomplete.

I could not get everything. But am still hoping that whoever is selling them that there are original packaging with them.

Re: Postal Order Matchbox/Dinky collections 7 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
They had a lot of different series via mail order in the USA.  Here are some others: 

www.hobbydb.com/subjects/matchbox-collectibles-series

I have the Taste of France!  Should we fill in the gaps at hobbyDB?

Re: Postal Order Matchbox/Dinky collections 7 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
WOW, those are beauties!!!
  • Page: