Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Colorful GT 40's

Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Just a few:

Re: Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #2

They look great Gerrit.
Did you replace some wheels?
I can only recall them with yellow plastic ones

Re: Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Nice photo and a great project.
Question....Did you cut out the roof on the gold one in the rear or did it come that way?? Seems to be the only open roof one there.

Re: Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
RoutemasterNL wrote:
They look great Gerrit.
Did you replace some wheels?
I can only recall them with yellow plastic ones

Thanks Theo,

The 41C Lesney GT 40, the best selling Matchbox model ever according to Mr. Odell himself, came in 5 different wheel variants.

Yellow plastic, red plastic, narrow Superfast, wide Superfast and very few with ex factory wire wheels.

Yellow plastic and superfast wheels the most common, red ones are rare and wires very rare. The wide Superfast models required a different body casting to accommodate these oversized wheels (not my cuppa Rosie Lee).

In my collection most of them are yellow wheel items, and three are narrow Superfast. The wire wheels, red/orange and painted wheels are non originals/conversions. The red rims  taken from Lesney trucks like the Guy transporter, they fit just nicely.

And yes Jim you spotted that very well one of the models is an open top GT40. I cut the roof myself.

Last Edit: 4 years, 6 months ago by Ecclesley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Thanks, I really like the look of the open top on these cars. Did they ever sell a removable top version in real life, 1:1, that is?

Re: Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Nobleco wrote:
Thanks, I really like the look of the open top on these cars. Did they ever sell a removable top version in real life, 1:1, that is?

Yes several open top original 1960's GT40's were raced, like this one at the Targa Florio

This long nose one, the X1 in Canam races:

They even won a race with this MKII  7 ltr.,  the Sebring 12 hrs. of 1966. The car just made it to the finish line. The open top construction not fit to carry such a powerful engine, the monocoque chassis bent/warped and almost fell to pieces. The car was scrapped.

Road going open top versions of the sixties and of the present day GT 40 were/are available:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Here the different castings of a regular plastic/narrow superfast wheels model (bottom upside down) and a wide superfast wheels item (top).

Note the bigger wheel arches and shorter wheelbase of the upper one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I would like to see more bare metal castings done this way to show the different wheel-arches, as it applies to many of the models in the range and Gerrit has done a good job with the first comparison picture of the GT40.

Rollerman.

Re: Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Great colourful collection and nice custom work !!!!!

Re: Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
may sound a bit weird but I love the torquoise blue base plate some of these models had

Re: Colorful GT 40's 4 years, 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Here the bases and the turquoise is ever so nice:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, RoutemasterNL
  • Page: