Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!

TOPIC: Yesteryear

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 2 weeks ago #346

Platinum Boarder
Bob, welcome back. the HTML is from using the "Reply Topic" on the bottom left. Use "Quick Reply' and it does not show. BRB wife is calling.

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 2 weeks ago #347

Platinum Boarder
<p>YYS4BOB wrote:
</p>
<p>RoutemasterNL wrote:
Great collection Kevin! I never knew there were some many different ones out there.
</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Neither did anybody else! Not been here for a while and have forgotten how your picture posting works or I'd add something here. Also don't know why all the extra marks appear when I post, they aren't there when I'm writing?</p>
<p>
</p>
<p>For pictures most of us use postimages.org/</p>
<p>Easy to use and free. On the first page only use the "Choose Images" the other 2 can be left alone unless you want you pictures to disappear, say on another site?<br />Anyway, click the Choose Images button and you will get your computer. Navigate to where the pictures you want to put on the forum are and then pick one or if you want more, use the Ctrl button to choose single pictures out of many or use the Alt button to choose say 5 or 6 pictures in a row. The next screen will load the pictures. I am choosing 4 out or order pictures with the Ctrl button. Wait for them to upload. When they are loaded you will see that the box at the top is where they are being loaded from a Post Image Folder. Don't worry about that. The next box is where you want Hotlinks for Forums. You can choose thumbnails if you like but they are small and hard to see. There are other settings for other places like for a website or a direct link. The Way it is will resize the photo to the size our site likes best. You also see a choice of how you want it to display them . I usually choose the 1 Column choice. Click on the Copy blue link and then go to the page your posting your pictures on, usually where you start for a write up like this and then paste them here.</p>
<p>Like this.</p>
<p>
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />
<br /><br />I use Ctrl+C to copy and Ctrl+V to paste</p>

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 2 weeks ago #348

Platinum Boarder
In the link I gave you above, take the </p> off the end when it comes up in your browser. You should get an error message so take that out.

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 2 weeks ago #349

Junior Boarder
Ok. Thanks. I have used postimage for years on other sites so am familiar with it's working's.

These two preproduction Fire engines to go with Kevin's post. It's likely that no-one else on the planet analyses models in the forensic detail that Kevin does!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 1 week ago #350

Platinum Boarder
I like the silver Radiator, Bells, supports for the ladder and the black running boards and fenders. Much nicer looking and more practical. Black does not show the mess as much.

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 1 week ago #351

Platinum Boarder
The red over black colour scheme on Bob's 'Pre-Pro' made a comeback in 1984 as a full production version, staying in this colour until 1988 when the model was dropped from the range.

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 1 week ago #352

Platinum Boarder
The problem with making Fire Engine models is it limits the number of colours it can be re-issued in unless like Lesney you make the model for so long it will appear in shades of red.

A model from 1977 next to one from 1982-83.

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 1 week ago #353

Junior Boarder
The red model in my picture has much casting detail missing, including the RR badge on the rad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 1 week ago #354

Junior Boarder
One of my favourite models from the "straw" box era is the Y24 Bugatti. "Made in England" production models were a stately black, with varying yellow panels, but many colours were used in the development process. First run bodies were in metallic blue, and the bonnet was too short.

Later, when the box was being designed, red/yellow/silver was trialed. Allegedly only 48 were made in this colour combination. A number I would dispute. Probably nearer a couple of hundred judging by the amount I've seen over the years.

Many different "colour trials" exist, and I can show some more if any interest.

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 1 week ago #355

Platinum Boarder
I don't collect Yester Year toys. These are interesting and past the years I have in my book so newer, I only go up to about Y-15 and of course this car is not in there being a Y24. Looks interesting and I like learning about some of the ones that were popular from that era.
Show more if your into it.

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 1 week ago #356

Junior Boarder
Something earlier you might recognize. Very early test casting for the Y2 Prince Henry Vauxhall.

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 1 week ago #357

Platinum Boarder
Good looking car but not in my book. There are no Vauxhall's listed and the Y-2 I have shows a 1911 Renault Two Seater or the 1911 "B" Type bus. That one I do have. I have two others at hand, the Y-1 1911 Ford Model "T" and the Y-7 1912 Rolls Royce. If I have more they are packed away and I have forgotten them.

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 1 week ago #358

Junior Boarder
Is this the book you're referring too? 50 years old now!

Re: Yesteryear 9 months, 1 week ago #359

Platinum Boarder
No, I have Charlie Mack's Matchbox Toys Regular Wheel Years, 1947 to 1969
I do have a book very similar to yours, "Matchbox" from 1953 to 1969 1-75 Series Regular Wheels Published by A.I .M. I have the second printing from 1983 Quite comprehensive on the variations of each model but no pictures, just drawings. Shows a lot of the differences in the Variations of the castings