Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!

TOPIC: Yesteryear

Re: Yesteryear 5 months, 1 week ago #316

Platinum Boarder
<p>
<br /><br />
<br /><br />Two Yesteryear Bentley's.Different colour seats,decals and grille.One has two holes in the bottom , perhaps to fasten it on giftware item ?</p>
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by blackstone.

Re: Yesteryear 5 months, 1 week ago #317

Platinum Boarder
Or maybe a plinth?

Re: Yesteryear 5 months, 1 week ago #318

Platinum Boarder
possibly

Re: Yesteryear 5 months, 1 week ago #319

Platinum Boarder
Just looking in my Matchbox book and these are both regular issues as you see them. No mention of a plinth or box to mount it in but there is a silver plated version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackstone

Re: Yesteryear 5 months, 1 week ago #320

Fresh Boarder
Many models were adapted by the addition of holes or drilled bosses. These adaptations were so the models could be plated and mounted on various giftware items.Later editions of the painted models had the holes removed or the bosses filled. Painted models can be found occasionally with the holes threaded. These were bases destined to be plated, but found their way onto the painted models.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, blackstone

Re: Yesteryear 5 months, 1 week ago #321

Platinum Boarder
<p>Indeed what Bob says is very correct. The model with the two base holes is therefore from around 1964 because of the seperate grille casting and post-1962 base holes, while the model without the holes is from early 1962 and it also has the grille cast as being part of the bonnet, a good detail to date it as an earlier issue. Rollerman.</p>
Last Edit: 5 months, 1 week ago by TheRollerman.

Re: Yesteryear 4 months, 3 weeks ago #322

Platinum Boarder
I found my Matchbox Connoisseurs collection in my loft as we are starting to have a clear out of our loft so lots to show on P.D as we go, this particular set was the last Christmas present I got from my mum & dad in 1984 , before my dad died in January 1985, it is complete down to the guarantee that Matchbox would buy it back for the full price of £78+ after five years .Also a Scammell Truck & Locomotive which i have more of the same type of Yesteryear's which I used to buy & put away.

Re: Yesteryear 4 months, 3 weeks ago #323

Platinum Boarder
Andy, you must remove all the foam packing from around the models in your Yesteryear set as because if there is no chemical reaction yet, there soon will be and the foam will destroy the plated or bare metal parts of all the models, trust me you will regret it if you do not do this.

Rollerman.

Re: Yesteryear 4 months, 3 weeks ago #324

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Rollerman, please don't take this as I am not listening but all is fine with it to this day as I believe, I have not touched it or removed it from the package since Christmas 1984, it may seem weird of me to say this but I want to leave it as it is as that is the way I received it on Christmas day , untouched.

Re: Yesteryear 4 months, 3 weeks ago #325

Platinum Boarder
This is what will happen to the models if you ignore my advice and I can show you more picture of the same problem from other collector friends sets.

Re: Yesteryear 4 months, 3 weeks ago #326

Platinum Boarder
The above models were left 'Un-Touched' just like yours with all factory provided foam packing the owner was stunned into silence when he discoved the condition of what he thought was a mint set. These models are now worthless!

Rollerman.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy66

Re: Yesteryear 4 months, 3 weeks ago #327

Platinum Boarder
you have got me worried now, I have just been back in the loft to check, & luckily my models are still mint , the sponge is still like new too, considering these were bought for me nearly 36 years ago . maybe down to the fact my mums house never had central heating as it is to this day, when I moved to my house these were stored in the loft in between many boxes, now I am having a sort out in my loft I will come across many boxes of mint boxed models of all manufactures I look forward to showing these toys on here as I find them out , it will be a great time warp for me as I have not seen many of them for 30 years or more.

Re: Yesteryear 4 months, 3 weeks ago #328

Platinum Boarder
Well, I expect all the others are fine but the yesteryear set is a ticking time bomb. See the closer picture of ther corrosion caused. This set was stored in a controlled display room, not even in a loft and the owner just did not know what was happening to the models until he took them out to show another collector. You must remove all the foam padding while your models are still in good condition. This is not an April fools joke or anything, it is a serious request to you Andy (and any other members with the same set).

Re: Yesteryear 4 months, 3 weeks ago #329

Platinum Boarder
Even Vectis are aware of corroded models as the description for this set confirms.
www.vectis.co.uk/lot/matchbox-models-of-...mited-edition_755992

Re: Yesteryear 4 months, 3 weeks ago #330

Platinum Boarder
<p>
</p>
<p>Look at these models with some wheels affected and other bright or bare parts showing early stages of corrosion.</p>
Last Edit: 4 months, 3 weeks ago by TheRollerman.