Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!

TOPIC: Yesteryear

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #241

Senior Boarder
Yeah, that difference is so minor, I can't even tell from the photo. Looks like this is one model where Matchbox managed to come up with some good color schemes all way round - I really like the white and blue, but the others also look good.

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #242

Platinum Boarder
heya Tee, I was very happy to get one with a box for this model.

The minor shade difference might actually be sunfade, not enough to cause too much damage though.

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #243

Platinum Boarder
Y1-3 Jaguar SS100

Last Edit: 12 years, 7 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #244

Platinum Boarder
Y3-2 1910 Benz

My favorite landaulet

see the differences between these two green versions???

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #245

Platinum Boarder
I've been staring at your Y-3-2 photos for so long I thought I'd lose my mind but apart from the obvious color differences, I can't spot anything else. I'm aware that some versions have gaps between the rear wing supports, others don't. Is this what you refer to? In that case, the photos are too small to really show the difference.

I've recieved two more of my recent purchases... the Y-13-3 Crossley

Is it just me, or does that canvas roof look exactly like the one on the Y-8-3 Stutz Roadster?

Also the first of my Y-8-4 MG TC.

The chrome plating is slightly worn in places, and there are a few small paint chips, but the box is fabulous! Now waiting for the second one to arrive - chances are the model will be better, but the box worse, if that's the case I'll combine the best of each.

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #246

Platinum Boarder
this one its very subtle.

one has a painted same as body colour steering wheel, the other one has a black plastic steering wheel column

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #247

Platinum Boarder
Is it just me, or does that canvas roof look exactly like the one on the Y-8-3 Stutz Roadster?

earlier roofs from the Stutz had the windscreen notches near the front.

when the Crossley was made they added an extra windscreen notch for that truck as the windscreen is further back.

Just have a look inside the roofs and that will be the only difference.

You can interchange the roofs, but only Crossley's roofs will click in place, unless you use the textured Coke&coles truck roof which is black.

Also, the Stutz roof is smooth and the Crossley's roof is textured

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #248

Platinum Boarder
Ahaaaa! So it wasn't just me... I already noticed the extra notches on the underside of the roof. The fun thing is, I haven't actually held a Stutz for ehmmm, about 3 decades (my new one hasn't arrived yet), and still I remember that roof!

It wasn't even me, but my brother who had the Stutz back then. I remember that the plastic broke at the angle (back) - it didn't break completely into two pieces, but threatened to do so at any moment and one had to be extremely careful when handling it.

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #249

Platinum Boarder
agreed, got  quite a few wrecks of the Stutz.

its a good way to restore the silver-plated versions. Just swipe them off the run of the mill models.

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #250

Platinum Boarder
talking about flimsy roofs...

this is the Y12-2 Thomas Flyabout

the front two have slightly different roofs.

one attaches to the body, the second generation to the seats.

its one on a long list of finding parts.

I think this is my second chromie.

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #251

Platinum Boarder
Mine is obviously a second generation...

And what a flimsy roof indeed. Not just the roof, but also the tiny tabs on the seats. Wouldn't take much play time (or even handling) to break something. The fact that so many of these old models have survived is good testimony to the point that many have been used as collectibles, not toys, right from the start.

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #252

Platinum Boarder
<p>I dug out my woodgrain boxes - both have a textured roof, both have 2 sets of notches, but my Stutz makes more of an angle towards the front; the Crossley is straight down!&nbsp; Otherwise, they look identical.</p><p>
</p><p>
</p>

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #253

Platinum Boarder
here's an older than the blue version with a smooth roof

I don't know why I keep mixing up the Maxwell Roadster with the Stutz.

Maybe its the same smooth roof that looks so similar to the Crossley.

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 7 months ago #254

Platinum Boarder
The Stutz and the Carlsberg Crossley have arrived...

Re: Yesteryear 12 years, 2 months ago #255

Senior Boarder
Bought this 1 about 5 years ago for $50 at a local flea market...

Best find so far.