Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Do you want to know how to get paint off plastic or replace the bent axles on an old Dinky car? Or maybe you've come up with a great new method of remaking windscreens or removing decals. Whether you're looking to share your own info or ask how to do something, if it's diecast-related, here's where to do it!

TOPIC: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years, 3 months ago #16

Platinum Boarder
Dave and Theo. The marble lines the two haves up so the tread on the tyre is a match. I actually forgot to take the marble out for the second half when making the mould and leave the locator casted into the mould.

I actually did a search for those one piece tyres Jim and couldn't find any evidence that they were being made. Yes I did wander around the most of the spare parts sellers including yours Jim and found no evidence they were being sold.

Anyway it was just an idea to see if this substance would work. Cost not much about $30 AUD.

The two part epoxy gears look good but were a disaster as the substance is too soft Jim.
Last Edit: 7 years, 3 months ago by GunnerJim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DaveF

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years, 3 months ago #17

Platinum Boarder
Pulling off the gears from the axle. Similar to the Dinky method that Jim has shown by drifting the axle by tapping with a drift or punch.

I ended up swapping the gears around so the good one is on the crank drive end after I had a bit of a play around. Like to experiment a bit at times. Tinkering maybe.

Fitted and trying out the epoxy gear. As the photo shows the gear starting to collapsed due to the pressure.

Well it did wind up and down then collapsed.

Here I am fitting the swapping the original gear around from the drive side.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years, 3 months ago #18

Platinum Boarder
I have posted pictures of the gears I was supposed to get from a guy in England and then he got sick and ended up in the hospital. Not sure what happend but over a year later I did actually got some gears from him. I will take some photos tomorrow to show but there are photos on here somewhere. Look up Dinky 666 Missile launcher.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years, 3 months ago #19

Platinum Boarder
Good on ya mate. Yes I do remember those cogs and the saga that followed, complete with photos of the event as it unfolded into the epic of the year.

Actually before posting this attempt to make Corgi solid rubber type wheels. I did go to Forums search engine, just to see what had been posted on this subject and yes, your photos are still there Jim. I do use this PD search engine fairly regularly, when looking up stuff that I had read sometime ago, but where was it. All so easy to find, if there is already a particular subject regarding something that is available before posting more information on the same subject regarding our hobbies.

So you can get some real good quality tyres Jim from your suppler and if so I'll invest in some as those I made, was sort of just for fun, to find out if they would be good enough and easy enough to make. I only had some clear silicone available and I mixed some black humble paint in to get the blackish colour. It is going to be interesting how long these homemade remedies will last and time will tell as they are not proper rubber ones.

Cheers mate.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years, 3 months ago #20

Platinum Boarder
I guess you can contact me at my email and you can let me know how many you might need. I will be ordering again this weekend or early next week. Just waiting for a couple customers to confirm some orders.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years, 3 months ago #21

Platinum Boarder
Well Jim I do like your work here, very inventive with neat ideas. Keep us posted with the work, are going for a full restore on the erector?

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years, 2 months ago #22

Platinum Boarder
Here are those home made tyres that I made out of Silicone rubber sealant in the tube stuff.  Anyway not the finish that I would have preferred, although this was a bit of a thought bubble as an experiment. I could improve on this subject sometime in the future.

Anyway the Erector has wheels. Next will be a home made rocket of the sorts.
Last Edit: 7 years, 2 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years, 2 months ago #23

They certainly did the trick, I like it.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years, 2 months ago #24

Platinum Boarder
It certainly worked well and the wheels look fine Jim. It's better it has wheels than none.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years ago #25

Platinum Boarder
I took up Jim's offer as I was getting some replacement tracks for those Moko Lesney original large bulldozer and crawlers that I have in my collection. I must say that the large plastic Corgi wheels replacements for the Erector Missile launcher are absolutely fantastic and worth ever cent for the purchase. Many thanks Jim.

Now to fit them.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years ago #26

Platinum Boarder
I think we can see the difference already.

looking good Jim.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years ago #27

Platinum Boarder
Off with the home made jobs and on with the professionals. Looking real cool.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years ago #28

Platinum Boarder
Next is the rocket. Shall I make one or buy a replacement only they are made of plastic and the originals are diecast ones.

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missile Launcher and repairs 7 years ago #29

Make one yourself James, and show us some photos of the process

Re: Moulding a tyre for the Corgi Erector Missle Launcher and repairs 7 years ago #30

Platinum Boarder
I was wondering why those wheels looked better than originals.

Well done all around.