Paint Strippers for Diecast and new regulations
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Do you want to know how to get paint off plastic or replace the bent axles on an old Dinky car? Or maybe you've come up with a great new method of remaking windscreens or removing decals. Whether you're looking to share your own info or ask how to do something, if it's diecast-related, here's where to do it!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Paint Strippers for Diecast and new regulations

Paint Strippers for Diecast and new regulations 4 years, 4 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
<p>Like the title says, Here is what I used to use for years.</p>
<p>
</p>

Re: Paint Strippers for Diecast and new regulations 4 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
The above was a great stripper for paint and varnish of any type.
Then I found this in about 2015

Re: Paint Strippers for Diecast and new regulations 4 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
The above was also a great stripper and did the job quickly. Both so far have stripped almost any toy with in half an hour and most in about 20 minutes.
Then all of a sudden a couple of years ago someone decided that these were bad for the environment and changed the rules. It took a couple years to use up stock on hand.

Re: Paint Strippers for Diecast and new regulations 4 years, 4 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
This is about how they both worked in about 5 minutes. You can see the paint peeling.

Re: Paint Strippers for Diecast and new regulations 4 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
After the above stripper the formula was changed to a gel. It was not that easy to apply once you poured it on and would not really stick to the sides or the brush. It can said it was good on vertical surfaces but it was not.
Next the formula for the Circa 1850 stripper changed and they called it a Soft Strip. It was a gel. and was worse than the last gel. It really was hard to get to stick on the toy.
The currently sell this but for me, it does not work at all. It just sits there and after about 2 hours you might get a little paint off.

Re: Paint Strippers for Diecast and new regulations 4 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
<p>Well, it did stay wet longer. Then I tried this one.
It was not much better. Eco strip by EZ Strip After 2 hours nothing had been removed from one model and hardly anything from the other that I am now working on.</p>
Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Paint Strippers for Diecast and new regulations 4 years, 4 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Today I went into town as my dremel broke yesterday. Being Black Friday yesterday most places in Grand Forks have the sales on til Dec 3. $44.00 plus tax got me a new kit, same as before. I then went to the hardware store looking for wire wheels. I tried to do the stripping that did not come off with a wire wheel. Even my bead blaster would not get it out of the cracks and door creases. I talked to the salesman about wire wheels for my dremel and I recognized is voice from the day before. We talked about the stripper and how disappointed I was with what they sold me and he took me over to that department, paint department. He showed me this next stuff and we talked about the gell and other strippers. Well it turns out he restored old furniture and he said this stuff worked really well. So I bought it. $19.95 plus tax. It does work well so if you are reading this, TICK, take note the rules have changed here in Canada and what I said a week or so ago no longer applies.
This is what you want and it is available at Home Hardware.

Re: Paint Strippers for Diecast and new regulations 4 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Now you want to look for the stripper in a Metal Can, not plastic. Means it is much stronger but still falls inside the new Environmental rules and laws.
  • Page: