Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's a new guessing game based on item value. You post a picture of an item and everyone guesses how much it sold for - see if you're surprised...
  • Page:

TOPIC: Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production

Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #1

Gold Boarder
Here a colour trial for the Ford Kennel Truck.

Pre_Production_Ford_1.jpg

What would you pay and what do you think it went for?

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Is that a grey plastic front? That looks a lot better than the chrome and white versions they came out with.

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #3

Gold Boarder
Yes, it does look good.   This is a Guess It game, so try to guess what somebody did pay for it.

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I\'m sorry, but I need to know for sure it really is a colour trial as it appears to be ignored by some of the Matchbox gurus that have recently published value guides, and they do tend to collect the rarest of colour variants. So far I can\'t find this one.

If its a rare colour pre-production model and the asking price is astronomically high I would recommend to everyone to do your homework first.
I\'ve consulted Dana Johnson\'s Value Guide (2004)
Also Rodger Darkens guide (2008)
And lastly just purchased John Houghton\'s \'Definitive Guide to Matchbox Toys\'.
All three don\'t appear to mention anything about a yellow version of the Kennel Truck.
That\'s a bit odd, don\'t you think?
The shade of the grey plastic leads me to belief this is one of those Bulgarian reproductions that have recently been flooding the market.

If its a guessing game then we may ask questions before guessing anything.
So my next question is... does it steer?

Last Edit: 11 years, 8 months ago by RVREVO.

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #5

Gold Boarder
It was owned by Dr. Scott D Gillogly and sold in December 2008 by Vectis, so I assume it is a correct pre-production colour trial.  So put in your guesses (and no cheating and checking on the auction results, please)!
Question to LaToya:  Will ToyPedia also show variants like this one?

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
somebody got very rich selling this collection.

Vectis takes all the fun away from bargaining. Did you see this one too???

Didn\'t fetch as much, but it sure put a hole in someone\'s wallet.

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #7

Gold Boarder
Hey, no checking in the facts and no tips - just your pure guesses.  The turqouise one would have been my next guess it game... so now you guys can guess both.

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I assume we are talking Pounds Sterling here. I don\'t watch the auction houses much but have seen some pretty spectalular prices paid for this kind/type of model. Some in the 10\'s of thousands.
My guess on the first truck would be £800.00
My guess on the second truck would be £500.00

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
I would think they would have sold for less, I am always surprised that pre-production models sell for less than rare colour variants (anybody know why?).  I venture £400 and £300 respectively.

Last Edit: 11 years, 8 months ago by Joschik.

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #10

Gold Boarder
More guesses?
In the mean-time the model later turn Modl of the Month as you can see from this old ad.

Model_of_the_Month.jpg

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Ok I see the dog are barking in the Kennel Truck, so I\'ll say about 150 pounds for the Yellow as a batch was used in trial testing for the paint viscosity in the spay booth by one of the workers. Then again it might have been a prototype one tested to see what the paint would turn out like and was just added into a batch of other models being spray painted. Then the second would go about 300 British pounds if there were a small batch run just to use up some paint left over from a previous batch run.

Re:Matchbox Regular Wheels No.50c Pre-production 11 years, 8 months ago #12

Gold Boarder
OK, the yellow one went for £620 and the other for £320, will look for another challenge now.
  • Page: