Show us your paper models! Please remember that some paper models are offered for sale and not as free downloads, please only offer models for download if you are certain that there are no copyright issues. If you're a fan of paper plane models, you should also check out the paper plane forum in the aviation section.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Greetings, Paper Modelers!

Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #1

Hi, Folks,

My name is Paul McCool and I\'ve been seriously collecting and building paper models for about a year. 

I was first introduced to paper models a few years ago through a friend of mine, David Okamura, a true artist in the medium. 

My initial interest in paper models grew out of my frustrations at my skills in painting plastic kits, but I quickly found that I enjoyed learning the different skills required to transform a flat sheet of paper into a really cool model.

I\'m looking forward to what the rest of you can share with us.

Paul M.

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #2

Gold Boarder
Welcome on board!  While not having dabbled yet with paper models there is some cool stuff out there, see for example these London Transport Kits in the Member Blog area.
You should put up gallery with your work!

Thomas

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #3

I\'ll have to remember where I got it,but there is a paper model available of an old Routemaster double-decker bus, so you wouldn\'t even need to buy diecasts.

Paul M.

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #4

Gold Boarder
Maybe we shuold create a wiki resource with links to all sites that have paper models.

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #5

I don\'t know about wiki links, but several people have already done much of the work for you.  Try this site for starters: www.3dpapermodel.com.tw/freedownload/dow...asp/link.asp?ID=free 

It has links to hundreds of paper models.

Paul M.

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #6

JPL

Senior Boarder
Cool! Can you do some posts either here or in blogs on how you make these models, like what types of glue to use and what type of paper and stuff?

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #7

For most of my models, I use 110 lb. cardstock, which is available at most office supply stores.  Some modelers use 65 lb. stock as well, but the type of paper often depends on the model being built.  Some models, such as sailing ships, will use different weights of paper within the same model.

As for glue, I tend to use Aleene\'s Tacky Glue.  It is a thick white glue used for crafts, and comes in original and quick-dry.  You can also use regular old Elmer\'s.  Whatever glue you use, squeeze out a pearl sized drop on a piece of paper or card (I use old plastic hotel key cards) and apply it to the model with a toothpick or the tip of an unfolded paper clip.

If you would like to watch a tutorial video, go to www.yamaha-motor.co.jp/global/entertainm...aft/howto/index.html

Paul M.

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
I would also like to know more about these models. The shine is my question. Are they all printed on overhead projector film? What kind of printer do you need, laser or bubblejet?

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #9

The glossy finish on the model was acheived by using gloss photo paper.  As for what type of printer is used, I print most of my paper models on a Brother MFC 240 All-In-One Inkjet.  However, for a glossy finish, you should use a printer suited for printing photographs.  My wife uses an HP C4480 PhotoSmart Ink Jet for her photos, and something similar should be fine for any model application.

Hope this helps!

Paul M.

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I have created a wiki page for Paper Models here and added the first 20 download sites to it (many thanks to an earlier email from Paul).  Please add to it.

Last Edit: 10 years, 2 months ago by toysforever.

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 6 months ago #11

JPL

Senior Boarder
That\'s awesome pdmccool & joshik! Thanks for the vidlink and wiki page!

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 5 months ago #12

OK, I\'m willing to give it a go. Found several that I want to try. Thanks for the links, this will be interesting!

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 5 months ago #13

JPL

Senior Boarder
Great! please show some pictures when youve made them!

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
That is great, thanks for the info. I have a good Epson Stylus CX3200 that will be great for the job. Also a Cannon Pixma IP 5200 I uses from time to time. I have lots to photo paper so will probably give this a try. I could glue it to heavier stock as the photo paper is thinner that what you are talking about for some models.
Nobleco

pdmccool wrote:
The glossy finish on the model was acheived by using gloss photo paper.  As for what type of printer is used, I print most of my paper models on a Brother MFC 240 All-In-One Inkjet.  However, for a glossy finish, you should use a printer suited for printing photographs.  My wife uses an HP C4480 PhotoSmart Ink Jet for her photos, and something similar should be fine for any model application.

Hope this helps!

Paul M.

Re:Greetings, Paper Modelers! 12 years, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
That was a very interesting link easy to follow.
  • Page:
Moderators: pdmccool