Solaris Urbino 18, bendibus modified
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Show us your paper models! Please remember that some paper models are offered for sale and not as free downloads, please only offer models for download if you are certain that there are no copyright issues. If you're a fan of paper plane models, you should also check out the paper plane forum in the aviation section.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Solaris Urbino 18, bendibus modified

Solaris Urbino 18, bendibus modified 10 years, 7 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Kinda quiet in here, I think? I don't usually build paper models, but recently I found one for free that I couldn't resist.
Solaris is a polish bus maker, known for their Urbino-range: short (10 meter) buses called Urbino 10, standard 12 meters are Urbino 12 and articulated buses (aka bendi-buses or flexi-buses), 18 metres long are called Urbino 18.
This brand is getting very common all over Europe in recent years, and my own local bus service have a ton of both Urbino 12 and Urbino 18. How about models then? Well you can get some very small ho-scale ones, but nothing bigger than that... that is, except for this paper model!
Instead of just building the bus in the standard livery (from Dresden, Germany), I decided I wanted to try something special and build a replica of one of my local buses. Since I'm an amateur bus photographer I have literally thousands of photos to use as source material, and instead of just drawing, I chose to use actual photograph components for the layout. I load the original layout sheet into Photoshop, then search my photos for useful parts, like destination signs, license plates, lights, ads, chrome and so on. I then copy each part into Photoshop, set on semitransparent and now start adjusting to fit the exact size and scale of the original - it takes a lot of perspective correction, warping and other methods, but I usually end up with something useful. I've still got some way to go with the design itself but front and rear are almost finished and the sides are also beginning to take shape. I think I'll end up with using transparency film for the windows - printed very dark blue or black (the full size bus has extremely dark windows).
I've already built the skeleton of the bus and it feels quite sturdy (and surprisingly heavy because of the cardboard reinforcement).
I'm adding three files, first a real, full sized orginal:

Attachments:

Re: Solaris Urbino 18, bendibus modified 10 years, 7 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Because only one image can currently be used for each post (unless the images are on a server), here's a second post showing a sheet for the original bus
Attachments:

Re: Solaris Urbino 18, bendibus modified 10 years, 7 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
And finally here's the same sheet in its current, semi-modified form. By the way, the instructions for this kit were in polish(!). I've used Google-translate to get a (just) understandable translation.
Attachments:

Re: Solaris Urbino 18, bendibus modified 10 years, 7 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Nice work - wow!  Did the kit come "virtual", as in pdf, or is it on hard cardstock and you scanned in the original kit?  Looks like you darkened the yellow color as well.  So whats left of the original??? 
Karl

Re: Solaris Urbino 18, bendibus modified 10 years, 7 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
The kit came as jpg's, several sheets. I printed it out and applied cardboard backing to the skeleton parts. Yes, I've changed the yellow as well - actually there's not gonna be much left, if anything at all, once I'm done. I use the original as guides for placing the new parts/segments, using a semi-transparent mode. I guess it could be done freehand as well, but this makes it much easier to get the exact measures right.
  • Page:
Moderators: pdmccool