DIY Card Models: quick, cheap and fun.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Show us your paper models! Please remember that some paper models are offered for sale and not as free downloads, please only offer models for download if you are certain that there are no copyright issues. If you're a fan of paper plane models, you should also check out the paper plane forum in the aviation section.
  • Page:

TOPIC: DIY Card Models: quick, cheap and fun.

DIY Card Models: quick, cheap and fun. 11 years, 4 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
I got into card models by accident. I needed a quick body for a prototype chassi, knocked one out of card and then found a whole \'scene\' on the internet. I bought a fairly cheap model of a tram, was not very impressed and reckoned I could do better. Fairly straight forward. Designed on CAD, in my case DeltaCAD, save as ,dxf file, loaded into Serif DrawPlus for colouring.
It is also a good way of DIY Tinplate. Old style tinplate was printed on the flat before forming, the same with card. Actually I am wondering if it might not be possible to print onto tinplate using an inkjet printer.
I then found an old book, Cardboard Engineering all about card models and re-inforcing in various ways.
So far I have tried all scales from 1/24 (G) to 1/120 (TT).
Some of my efforts can be found at

www.siltec.co.uk/tramcard.html
All freelance designs, no copyright, help yourselves.
I claim no great expertise, skill etc. but it is certainly a fun way of getting a model quick and cheap.

Re:DIY Card Models: quick, cheap and fun. 11 years, 4 months ago #2

I\'ve found some ultra detailed tractor trailers searching online, and lots of one and two sheet builds that still turn out really nice models.

I\'m not sure that tin plate would make it through the printer, and if it went through, how well the ink would stick, even after sealing it like you would decals. It\'s worth a try, if you have an old printer, and a thin piece of tin or maybe a heavy gauge aluminum foil?

Re:DIY Card Models: quick, cheap and fun. 11 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
may need an old fashioned roller we used for screen printing

Re:DIY Card Models: quick, cheap and fun. 11 years, 4 months ago #4

Fresh Boarder
I think surface preparation might be important. Fully degreased and maybe lightly etched. I practise it might be easier on a pre-painted surface. I think thickness would not be a problem as printers cope quite well with card.
Alternative is to paint a background and used a transfer print before cutting, or possibly after cutting.
Like the idea of screen printing. I used to work in a plant making spin on car filters and we screen printed onto the painted cases. It was only single colour though as there was no registration facility on the cases.

Re:DIY Card Models: quick, cheap and fun. 11 years, 4 months ago #5

I print on card stock, 110/150 and my printer can handle it, to a point. If there is more than a couple sheets in the feed tray, it jams up. I\'ve got a stack of sheets printed out waiting to be assembled, and haven\'t found a spare moment to work on them. Once I started looking online, I found hundreds of things I wanted to try. They are fun to do, and with a little effort, easy to customize.

Re:DIY Card Models: quick, cheap and fun. 11 years, 4 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I doubt it as for sheet-metal or tin could be put through a ink jet printer. The sheet metal would have to bend around just like paper and I doubt that this process would work. Another is paper and cardboard is non electrical conductive where metal is.

The sheet-metal would have to be lithographed or screen printed before pressing the metal into shape. That means a die and press situation. Grease substance is applied to the die before pressing so as to protect the painted surface. Now days one could use peelable plastic coating applied to the painted surface could work.

If there is a printer that the top halve with all the printing cartridge is moving over the flat surface of the metal instead of rolling it through like on normal printers then one might be able to try this application. Search on Google and see what is available in printing machines would do for a start.

Re:DIY Card Models: quick, cheap and fun. 11 years, 4 months ago #7

You could print on vinyl sheet and peel and stick on tin, I\'ve done some large scale trailers on vinyl with great results.

Re:DIY Card Models: quick, cheap and fun. 11 years, 4 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
There you go. Oldtrucks56 has come up with a good answer to printing. vinyl sheeting might have to have a captain cook look into this. Thanks mate.
  • Page:
Moderators: pdmccool