My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
American National, AMF, Blower Bentley, BMC, Brindia, Charles Williams, Corvette, Cyclops, Dan Patch, Danette, Evans, Faircraft, Ferbedo, Garton, Gendron, Gendron, Gym Dandy, Hamilton, J R Smith, Jr. Jeepster, Kar Bike, Mason & Parker , Midwest, Mighty Mac, Mobo, Monarch, MTD, Murray-Ohio, PAL, Pine, Power Car Co., Rolls Racer, Rundle, Sherwood Jeep, Sidway, Sidway-Topfil, Skippy, Small Engine Dist., Speed King, Steelcraft, Tan Sad, Thistle, Toledo , Triang, Western Aluminum Jeep, Wilkenson, Worchester and more
  • Page:

TOPIC: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration

My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 4 months ago #1

Senior Boarder
Hi guys,

So on Monday my dad collected my next pedal car project for our son, a Young Masters Mercedes 500SEC,

Now the old girl is rough and I may well end up going a resto-mod route if parts are not easy to come by ( which knowing my luck they wont be )

I'll keep you all updated.

Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 4 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Does it have all four hub caps as they are the hardest thing to remake

Re: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 4 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Steve, I got my one out this afternoon , when i said restored it , well this was 20 odd years ago & not up to what I know now, I got the colour correct though. It has suffered through storing away the seat has got damaged & bonnet dinged.

I have took as many pictures to help you. The corner bumpers are made of rubber as are the strips on the bumper. It should have a screen which is type of half moon shaped & quite low. The tyres are rubber over covered , as the Sharna Rolls Royce ones ,with Young Master moulded on & a nice tread pattern, There should be a "squeaky" hooter in the steering wheel.

Pictured with Ginge the cat , I hope these will be of help to you

Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by Andy66.

Re: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 4 months ago #4

Senior Boarder
That's brilliant Andy, helps a lot actually, sadly it is missing 1 wheel trim, it does need a lot of work, so I think I'll be putting my own stamp on it, the light are damaged but I'm thinking of salvaging whats left of them and making up the rest to suit.

I've found someone in the US that has got NOS windscreens for the Young masters Bug pedal car and they look the same shape as the Mercedes version, so might buy one of those

Re: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 4 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
That is a great catch getting an original windscreen, you will enjoy making the other parts as the finished car will be a big reward for you.

Re: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 4 months ago #6

Senior Boarder
Andy66 wrote:
That is a great catch getting an original windscreen, you will enjoy making the other parts as the finished car will be a big reward for you.

I've just ordered a couple of sheets of coloured plasticard, I'm going to try and make some rear light units for it ( rather than stickers ) and make them ribbed like the real car, may also use the plasticard to repair the front headlight units.

The car looks to be based more on a W123 Mercedes, I've seen this picture of one with a front chin spoiler, which has given me an idea haha

Last Edit: 4 years, 4 months ago by Capri-Steve.

Re: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 3 months ago #7

Fresh Boarder
Eager to hear how this goes. Just picked one up similar to yours in condition. I will try to post pictures in a bit here.

Re: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 3 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Schen159, Welcome to the site from BC Canada. Nice to see another pedal car owner on here. Hope on over to the introduce yourself threads and tell us a bit about yourself and what you collect. We all love pictures here on PD so show us some of your collection and work. Hope you find here what your looking for.

Re: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 3 months ago #9

Senior Boarder
Slight update on the Mercedes, the car is kept at my parents house as our little la, Owen, will use it when he stays at their house ( I actually hope to do one more pedal car to keep at my in laws too )

anyway the car is fully stripped down ready for a couple of body repair, the front grille had a bad crack through it, so I helped close the crack back up by soaking it in boiling water for afew seconds, then strenghened  back of the grille with very fine stainless mesh and Araldite impact glue. I finished the grille off with a coat of black paint to back it look more like a AMG style grille.

after:

Before:

Last Edit: 4 years, 3 months ago by Capri-Steve.

Re: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 3 months ago #10

Looking good Steve! can you show the back of the grille?

Re: My Young Masters Mercedes 500 SEC restoration 4 years, 3 months ago #11

Senior Boarder
After the coat of silver Humbrol

RoutemasterNL wrote:

Looking good Steve! can you show the back of the grille?

Of course, also gave the back of the grille a coat of silver Humbrol to neaten it up abit.
  • Page: