Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 3 days, 11 hours ago #181

Hello George,
a warm welcome from The Netherlands, it is good having you on board.
I too restore the odd Dinky. For me the best paint is acrylic paint, it dries fast and can be sprayed over with all types of paint.
I do not use an airbrush that much.
If you know the "Action shops", they sell very good grey primer.

I do have a chart with RAL numbers for various Dinky Toys, but it is an Excel spreasheet, which I can't find at the moment

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 3 days, 10 hours ago #182

Platinum Boarder
Hello, George,                                                                                                         

A warm welcome from Belgium.

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 3 days, 8 hours ago #183

Fresh Boarder
Hi Toyguy. Thank you for the tip. Did you gather the RAL numbers from the internet or did it come from your own experience and experimentations?

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 3 days, 8 hours ago #184

Fresh Boarder
Warm good night from Brussels

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 days, 5 hours ago #185

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to Planet Diecast from BC Canada. Glad you can join us and we will be happy to help you out where we can.
As to paints, I use Alkyd Primer and you can put almost any paint over it. For color I use Steve Flowers Enamel type paints. He can no longer mail them but he can ship through a cartage company but not cheap. He does do some shows during the year and you can order from him and pick up at the show or fair. He is in England so that may be a problem unless you go to GB for the shows.
He has over 70 Dinky, Corgi and Matchbox toys colors and the yellow and grey on the Jaguar XK 120 I did are his paints.

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 days, 4 hours ago #186

Platinum Boarder
I use an air brush for painting most colors but use Spray Bombs for Primer, most Black and most White, some Silver and some Chrome. I have a few other hard to find colors too in spray bombs. I try to match up with Testors or Humbrol if I can. I have a decent stock of SF paints but running out of some so have to look for replacements.
I have a compressor in my garage. I run it at about 50# and it is a good one and can be used to run almost any type of air gun. I used to build houses and I could use it no problem. Air lines run from the garage to my basement, under the sidewalk and then under the deck, down the stairs and across the ceiling to my work shops. Range hood fan to take the paint fumes away while spraying and infrared lights to dry and also a toaster oven for drying after washing. I also have a glass bead blaster in the garage, hooked to the compressor at about 90#. Glass bead the paint off or just the surface for paint prep. I use ordinary furniture stripper to take the paint off. I like you method though but can't handle acetone. Acids will eat into the mazak cast material.
Any more questions, just ask.

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 22 hours, 17 minutes ago #187

Fresh Boarder
BC Canada, waouw, it's far far away! We made a very nice tour in Quebec last summer. We'd love to go to the West now!
Thank you for your answers. I am very impressed by your installation. I went to S. Flowers website. It's a lot of lists of products. Should I buy remplacement parts, tires and report-boxes there too? My work shop is situated in the basement (I live in an apartment building). I've no airing solution yet but I am thinking about it. You use infrared lights to dry the paint? What is the protocol (power, distance, time ...)? What is your problem with acetone? It is not an acid I think and does not seem to damage anything. Kind regards, Georges