Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months, 1 week ago #181

Hello George,
a warm welcome from The Netherlands, it is good having you on board.
I too restore the odd Dinky. For me the best paint is acrylic paint, it dries fast and can be sprayed over with all types of paint.
I do not use an airbrush that much.
If you know the "Action shops", they sell very good grey primer.

I do have a chart with RAL numbers for various Dinky Toys, but it is an Excel spreasheet, which I can't find at the moment

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months, 1 week ago #182

Platinum Boarder
Hello, George,                                                                                                         

A warm welcome from Belgium.

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months, 1 week ago #183

Fresh Boarder
Hi Toyguy. Thank you for the tip. Did you gather the RAL numbers from the internet or did it come from your own experience and experimentations?

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months, 1 week ago #184

Fresh Boarder
Warm good night from Brussels

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months, 1 week ago #185

Platinum Boarder
Welcome to Planet Diecast from BC Canada. Glad you can join us and we will be happy to help you out where we can.
As to paints, I use Alkyd Primer and you can put almost any paint over it. For color I use Steve Flowers Enamel type paints. He can no longer mail them but he can ship through a cartage company but not cheap. He does do some shows during the year and you can order from him and pick up at the show or fair. He is in England so that may be a problem unless you go to GB for the shows.
He has over 70 Dinky, Corgi and Matchbox toys colors and the yellow and grey on the Jaguar XK 120 I did are his paints.

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months, 1 week ago #186

Platinum Boarder
I use an air brush for painting most colors but use Spray Bombs for Primer, most Black and most White, some Silver and some Chrome. I have a few other hard to find colors too in spray bombs. I try to match up with Testors or Humbrol if I can. I have a decent stock of SF paints but running out of some so have to look for replacements.
I have a compressor in my garage. I run it at about 50# and it is a good one and can be used to run almost any type of air gun. I used to build houses and I could use it no problem. Air lines run from the garage to my basement, under the sidewalk and then under the deck, down the stairs and across the ceiling to my work shops. Range hood fan to take the paint fumes away while spraying and infrared lights to dry and also a toaster oven for drying after washing. I also have a glass bead blaster in the garage, hooked to the compressor at about 90#. Glass bead the paint off or just the surface for paint prep. I use ordinary furniture stripper to take the paint off. I like you method though but can't handle acetone. Acids will eat into the mazak cast material.
Any more questions, just ask.

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months ago #187

Fresh Boarder
BC Canada, waouw, it's far far away! We made a very nice tour in Quebec last summer. We'd love to go to the West now!
Thank you for your answers. I am very impressed by your installation. I went to S. Flowers website. It's a lot of lists of products. Should I buy remplacement parts, tires and report-boxes there too? My work shop is situated in the basement (I live in an apartment building). I've no airing solution yet but I am thinking about it. You use infrared lights to dry the paint? What is the protocol (power, distance, time ...)? What is your problem with acetone? It is not an acid I think and does not seem to damage anything. Kind regards, Georges

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months ago #188

Platinum Boarder
Thanks and BC is the most beautiful province in Canada but them I am bias having lived here all my live. I was in Europe last May and enjoyed ourselves very much meeting some of the members here and seeing all the sites.
As to exhaust venting for painting. I have a kitchen range hood exhausted to the outside through our basement wall. Works great and is 2 speed. Just need to clean the filter every now and then. Spray booth below.

For the infrared lights, about 4 inches to 8 inches seems to be best for me.
Here are a couple shots of the lights to give you an example.

Pictures are a few years old now but tell the story.

The Acetone I don't like as it stinks and is very cold. I do everything with bare hands, even paint stripping, as I can't wear gloves while working as it puts my hands to sleep and I can't feel what I am doing with my fingers when I wear gloves. Too many years outside as a carpenter and frost bite does not help them out either. Have never been the same since. I use paint stripper and then wash it off with hot water and dry the parts in my toaster oven.

They then go to the bead blaster in my garage for a quick blast with glass beads, They are washed again in the toaster oven then primed.
The picture below was taken when the blaster was in my basement. I moved to the garage as it is too dust in the house.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Parts can be from SF or from Model Car Parts in Holland. I will tell you that he gets loads of parts  from SF and SF buys a few from Rob but Steve is the main supplier. There are others in France and Rob seems to have those parts more so than Steve. Price usually determines who I buy from but mostly SF as I have to deal with High shipping costs from England or Holland to Canada.

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months ago #189

Fresh Boarder
Thank you It is going to help me much!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months ago #190

Platinum Boarder
nice set up Nobleco

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months ago #191

Platinum Boarder
Thanks guys. Shane, it took a bit of thinking when I first set up but the blaster cost about $80 new and that drill press I got at a garage sale with a vise for the platform and some drill bits and wire wheels, now long gone. Cost me $50 and it was almost brand new. The rest I either had or got for cheap. Air Brush was $17.00 from Hong Kong and I have gone through a few over the years. Still have one brand new in the box too. 2nd set of hands I got for $3.00 each at Princess Auto when they were on sale for 60% off. LOL

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months ago #192

Gold Boarder
When you spray with the SF paints what thinners do you use (I had assumed white spirit) and what ratio of paint to thinners (I'll be using an airbrush)?

I've got a few models to do and sound advice from one in the know is usually better as a starting point than trial and error!

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months ago #193

Platinum Boarder
Stuart, I use Mineral Spirits but you can use Turpentine or regular paint thinner. I think your white spirits is similar or the same to Mineral Spirits but not sure. Anyway, I don't really measure the paint but I would say I use about 2 maybe 3 eye droppers in the jar. About 1/8" to 3/16" deep in the bottom of the jar I use with my air brush. An Eye dropper holds about 1.0ml of liquid. I put 2.0 ml water in and then a piece of tape to show you. I then added about 1.0ml of water to that. This is about the ration I use (40% to 50%) for most colors. Thinner colors I use less thinners, like Yellow and pale colors. If I need more, I can always add, you can't take it out after it is in there. Then your stuck with many many many thin layers to spray it so it does not run.

Good rule of thumb is a little at a time till it is right. What I do is good for probably 3/4 of of Steve's paints.

Having said all that, I am using paints that are older and they still require thinners to thin. He has told me that with the changes in the laws for paint from last year he is going over to water based paints. Check it out and if you need his phone number, it is on his website or I can give it to you. He works Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm but only until 3pm on Friday. Lucky dog. That is UK time as he is in Leicester, north some from London.

Here are some pictures of what I have and have described above.
I buy these at the local drug store, maybe $5.00? can't remember. You can see the graduations on the right hand dropper.

Paint bottle for my air brush, yours should be similar, with the eye dropper for scale.

Below you can see I have a piece of tape marking the waterline. That is 2.0ml or 2 eyedroppers.

Now add 1.0ml thinner and this is what it looks like. You could say 2/3rds paint to 1/3rd thinner or 50% thinners to paint. I should also say that this amount of paint will cover a regular car twice or a truck once. I let it sit for half an hour between coats so the paint is tacky to dry and then give it the second coat. If I use up all the paint in one go on a truck, I will wait until the next day to give it another coat. Sometimes I do it later the same day but not that often.

Here are two thinners I use. Mineral Sprits for thinning the paint and Paint thinner for cleaning up afterwards.

Below is my air brush.

This is my pressure guage and water trap or filter. I have about 75 or 80 feet of air line running from my garage where the compressors is to my basement work shop. All the color dots on the wall are from all the toys I painted, one per toy. The cloth below and to the back beside the wall, is where I clean out the air brush after painting and putting a dot on the wall. I use pipe cleaners and my eye droppers with paint thinner to clean the air brush parts. Eye dropper fits the size of the holes in the brush nozzle and the pick up tube and when clean, I use the pipe cleaner to make sure all paint is out and part dry and then use my air brush as a blower to dry the insides of the parts. Clean and dry when put away.l

If you have any more questions, just ask, glad to help.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by Nobleco.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim, RoutemasterNL

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 2 months ago #194

Platinum Boarder
This has turned out to be very interesting through Jim's knowledge on this subject.
Last Edit: 2 months ago by GunnerJim.

Re: Soon to be off the Bench of Diecast Toyguy 1 month, 3 weeks ago #195

Gold Boarder
Thanks for the Master Class. Really helpful and very interesting

I now can go ahead and try this out with my airbrush, and can start with some confidence rather than blindly charging in!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim