Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky Pressure Refueler

Dinky Pressure Refueler 1 week, 2 days ago #1

Gold Boarder
A while ago I purchased a Dinky Pressure Refueler. It was pretty beat up but I knew I could make it look good. So here is the story mostly in photos.                                           

Drilling out the rivets. 

Grinding off the axle ends.

All taken apart. Rear axles were removed also. 

Knocking out the dents in the window pillars and straightening out the base plate. 

Sorry about the sideways photo. the base plate was bent in towards the cab on one side. The block of wood backed up a couple of light hammer blows and it flattened. After this I painted the base plate and then touched up the driver and it was ready to go back in. 

Next was priming and painting. I used Tamiya primer and  acylic XF50 Field Blue which was almost a perfect match to the original color. I followed up with a clear semi gloss top coat. 

A last minute change. I did this with my Coles Crane truck. I used a 3/32 aluminum tube with small brads for hubs for new axles. I did not want to re peen the originals . I also painted them match. I like the final look . 

And here is the finished model. It looks ready to refuel a Hawker Hunter or maybe the mighty Vulcan. 

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, lark6

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 1 week, 2 days ago #2

Gold Boarder
Sorry about so many sideways photos.  I don't know if there is a way to rotate them . I tried on my computer but the photos still came out sideways when I posted them here. I will watch my camera angle in the future. Photos are so easy to post on this forum, I really like the fact you do not have to use a URL service like Photo Bucket.

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 1 week, 1 day ago #3

The Refueler turned out very nice!. Thanks for the detailed photos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rixtoys

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 1 week, 1 day ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Great job, good to see.

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 1 week ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Nicely done. I like your idea for the axles

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 1 week ago #6

Platinum Boarder
Welcome back Rixtoys. Excellent photos showing your restoration process that you have gone through on this Dinky vehicle. Looking forward to more of your recovery work.

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 1 week ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Great descriptions and nicely done. Always nice to see how others do the same work. I peen my axles but what you have done is really good too. As to the bending of the metal on the Widows, I hope you heated the truck up some. The Mazak will break easily if you put too much pressure on it or bend it too much without using heat. I have a toaster oven and between 150° and 200°F will heat the metal up enough so it will not crack or break. Specially important on older models and badly bent window parts.

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 1 week ago #8

Gold Boarder
Thanks for all the compliments. HEAT I never thought of doing that . Great idea Jim. I will try it on my next project. I did not realize how damaged the cab was on this little beauty when I bought it. Here is a photo of the damage. It looks like a blow to the right side. But I think both sides took damage. I am open to any ideas to straighten it.  It will be tough to bring things back in line. 

Left side not as bad but the door line in front and on the top look bent. I do not have another one in my collection to compare it to.

The back of the cab is amazingly straight.  The impact knocked the window out but did not break it so far as I can tell. 

Definately a droopy eye on the right side. 

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 6 days, 19 hours ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Looks stepped on to me. Once apart, it will take some time to get this guy (its a Bedford not a Guy Truck) straight again. I have that cab in red from a tanker but it is damaged like yours.

You can see the damage above the right front window. Caused by the tanker being placed on top of the cab for shipping and then someone dropped it, kicked it or stepped on it to crush the trailer pin into the top of the roof at the window and break the window unit and dent the cab roof. Have to fix this one yet. I have had it for a number or years now. I can take closer shots of the cab if you like but I am sure someone else has a better cab.
Last Edit: 6 days, 19 hours ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 6 days, 18 hours ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Here pictures of one of mine from all sides. Rix, it indeed ssmes as if the front was bent in only.

Last Edit: 6 days, 18 hours ago by Keesie.

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 6 days, 17 hours ago #11

Gold Boarder
Took a second but I got it not a Guy . Thanks Jim and Keesie. Keesie your photos really show how damaged the cab is. Jim it is hard to believe that yours got so badly damaged in transit Jim. But who could step on a Corgi!! (I know its just a toy) 

Well I will take it apart then use Jim's method of toaster oven heat and see what happens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 6 days, 15 hours ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Good luck. When the window fits you probably got it back to what it was.

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 6 days, 11 hours ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Bad joke but you got it anyway. LOL
The toaster oven is good but the metal will cool quickly. I have a pair of welders gloves (leather gauntlets) or you can use heavy work gloves. Be ready to work on it as soon as it comes out of the oven and then only for a short while and back into the toaster oven. Have all your tools out and ready. It is a long process but I have brought back a couple Austin Atlantic that had the screen pushed below the body line or close too and I got them back in shape with no breaks so it can be done for most repairs. Thicker metal like what you have will be harder but will still bend without breaking when hot. Just needs more force than a thin window strut. Just take your time
Kees is right about the window fit.
Found the thread for the Austin so here is the link. Before and after front shots.

http://www.planetdiecast.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&func=view&catid=93&id=68445&limit=15&limitstart=15&Itemid=0
Last Edit: 6 days, 11 hours ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 6 days, 7 hours ago #14

Gold Boarder
When the window fits, good advice Keesie. Your window frame was a great save Jim. Gives me confidence that I can do it. Hope to get to it this week. Heck with temps around here I could just set it outside. It was 114F for the second day in a row here in Tucson. At 2130 as I write this it is still 102F.

Re: Dinky Pressure Refueler 6 days, 2 hours ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Great job on the Pressure Refueler! I had many Dinky army trucks as a kid but never this one.  I went back a few ago and bought a very slightly used one (in Chicago).  I always liked the heft of it!
  • Page: