Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Mebetoys Ford GT 40 restored

Mebetoys Ford GT 40 restored 8 years, 6 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
Mebetoys and Politoys from Italy did some extraordinary models, and one of their specialities was PERFECT opening parts. Another speciality was A LOT of opening parts. Mixing both together you get a model like a Ford GT40. I have seen at least one member here is into those, so hopefully he approves on this one.

As you can see the model was a very poor state.

The glazing was broken on the edges, so a new one was done.

The metal was just sandpapered.

Done in dark metallic green.

Only the front glazing was replaced.

The door open and close with a very good spring system.

Look at those beautiful wheels and tyres.

The spare wheel was missing, so I made a new one.
Last Edit: 8 years, 6 months ago by 283258.

Re: Politoys Ford GT 40 restored 8 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder

Re: Politoys Ford GT 40 restored 8 years, 6 months ago #3

I sold quite a few Politoys and Mebetoys over the years and you are right, they are great models with lots of detail. You did well on the restoration.
Did you vacuum form the front window?

Re: Mebetoys Ford GT 40 restored 8 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Thanks Theo, No, I just cut out the front window from throwaway plastic. It fits 'to a T', perfect. I did not even have to use glue, because there is a small surround ridge, it is stuck in there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Mebetoys Ford GT 40 restored 8 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
Weird shape for the spare wheel. Do you have a finished shot of the inside with spare in place?
Looks like a nice model and I have seen the front door spring system before, just can't remember which model it was on but it works very well. Might have been a Corgi.

Re: Mebetoys Ford GT 40 restored 8 years, 6 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
There was no spare, and I had to cut out two parts of a new spare, so it would fit into the hole. Indeed Corgi used the same spring system for the doors of some models.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Mebetoys Ford GT 40 restored 8 years, 6 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Thanks for the explanation on the spare wheel. I have not seen one before and did not know it did not come with a spare.

Re: Mebetoys Ford GT 40 restored 8 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Jim, obviously the model originally had a spare, look at the rounded upper rim. And those two standing up edges no doubt hold the wheel in place.  Maybe our GT40 expert can enlighten us.

Re: Mebetoys Ford GT 40 restored 8 years, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Very cool model - got a bunch of Politoys but not this one.  Many of this style 1/43 had a spare wheel under the hood/trunk though!  Love the new color!

Re: Mebetoys Ford GT 40 restored 8 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Thanks. I love the design of the GT40. I remember someone here has a whole line of those, forgot who. I can also come up with some GT40's.
  • Page: