Restorers Group Forum: If you're restoring or customising diecast models, here's where to discuss and show off your projects!

TOPIC: Coles 20 ton

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #46

Gold Boarder
Thanks for the compliment and the help Jim. I don't know where I saw the hollow axle idea it was way back searching the net. I just happened to remember it the other day when I needed something new for the Coles. I think we all have a love/hate relationship with vise grips/ locking pliers. I haven't thought out the crane to truck attachment. I drilled out the original rivet. The pop rivet idea might work blending the old rivet as a sleeve. I hope to get some time this week.  I did get the boom attached using the hollow tube method so no hammers involved . I am going to string it up then attach the crane base to the truck and finally put in the last axle. All that is left after that is the Coles decal and a coat of Future floor polish. That will seal and protect the finish and the decal.  should get her finished up this week .
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by Rixtoys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #47

Nobleco wrote:
Ya and watch out when you release it too. That lower arm or handle has got me a few times in the past.

The trick is do crimp it a few times, turning up the pressure with the knob every time, so you get a better crimp. 

And I did one with a hollow axle too

Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by RoutemasterNL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #48

Gold Boarder
beautiful work Routemaster !  I am going to look at crimping in a different way from now on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #49

Gold Boarder
Well I had the time today to FINISH the Coles !! . I present to you the results of a 31 year project ! I bought the Coles at a train show in Phoenix when my wife was pregnant with my first son who is now 31. No internet in those days so it sat . No boom was the big problem I thought I would make one or something but time went by about 8 years ago I bought a second Coles for the boom, now the internet and Ebay were in full swing. After a couple of more years I stripped it and then a year or so later primed it. It sat again until I retired and then found this web site and got some real motovation to get going again. SO thanks to you all for the insperation to finish !

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #50

Platinum Boarder
Looks good and what a time line to remember by.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rixtoys

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #51

Superb restoration !

I really like the fact that you mention this website being an inspiration for you to finish your project.
That is what it's all about!!!

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #52

Rixtoys wrote:
 All that is left after that is the Coles decal and a coat of Future floor polish. That will seal and protect the finish and the decal.  should get her finished up this week .

Could you explain more about the Future floor polish? 

Is it juist ordinairy wood polish?

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #53

Platinum Boarder
Good wine and Coles 20 tons always need a few (31) years to mature.

One very fine restoration!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GunnerJim, Rixtoys

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #54

Gold Boarder
Thanks everyone . I am staring at it like a kid with a new toy !  Even parked it next to my bed last night so I could see it first thing ! HAHAHAHA.  All the help here and  reading about about everyone's projects is really fun and helps me become a better modeler !

Future is a floor wax that has been around for a long time here in the US .It has now changed names and is called Pledge Floor Care Finish ( Multi Surface Finish).  It has been used by plastic modelers for a long time. It is self leveling and can be sprayed or brushed on a model for a super high gloss finish which seals and protects decals and the paint. I have never had it react in a bad sence with any finish.  It does not yellow over time either. I have some models with a future finish over 20 years old and they look great. One of it's best uses is to save cloudy or lightly scratched clear parts. Just dip a window or airplane canopy in it and let it dry. The clear parts come out looking brand new. cleans up with water or if dry amonia.  Its truly amazing stuff and a bottle will last for years. It is getting a little harder to find now days but still most grocery stores have it. 

Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by Rixtoys.

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #55

Platinum Boarder
I have been using Furture Floor was for well over 8 years now. Found out about it from a Lady, yes, real Lady on Gary's Diecast Drive-In. He husband is or was a collector and restorer. Keesie may remember who I am talking about. I have used it on window units and other clear parts but never on a complete toy. I don 't clear coat my restorations. I have never had any decal fall off. If applied properly and let to dry, decals will last virtually decades. Here is my bottle of well used Future Floor Wax. Still available in Canada and most hardware stores.

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #56

Platinum Boarder
Fantastic job on the crane and after so many years sitting on the sidelines, it must be a real joy to have it finally finished off. Glad this site was an inspiration to you. Keep up the good work and looking forward to the Army Truck.

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #57

Platinum Boarder
This crane has turned out real nice! Put this against my original and would be hard to tell the difference.

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #58

Thanks for the Pledge info. This is what Albert Heijn sells for 2.99 euros per bottle of 750 ml. I suspect it is the same. 

So you just brush it on?

It says: for tiles, stone and granit

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #59

Platinum Boarder
For screens and clear plastic pieces I dip it into a chip dip container with the wax in it. Shake off the extra and use my third hands to hold it until dry. Sometimes I have to dab a bit of wax off the bottom corner (I hang it on an angle with one side down) of the screen. Collects there before it dries and easier to dab it off with paper towel or soft cloth while wet.

I think you could spray it with an air brush. Might have to thin with a bit of water but don't think that would be necessary. Seems pretty runny. It is water washable while wet but you need ammonia or maybe bleach after it dries.
Last Edit: 8 years, 8 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Coles 20 ton 8 years, 8 months ago #60

Gold Boarder
That is well said Jim ! Dipping clear parts results in like new condition. I have used an airbrush to spray it with out thinning. And I have brushed it on also . It is self leveling and brush marks disapear. 

I just bought my new bottle a couple of months ago. My old one had the same label as the one in your photo.