Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else related to vehicles smaller than 1:1 scale!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons

Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 6 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
I HAVE to tell you this. As I am the proud owner of a Harley Davidson, from the start when I bought it (1991) I was interested in the history behind it. In 1903 three young men decided to place an engine into a pushbike. They had a small shed where they built it. They were able ot sell it, and the next year they made 3 motorbikes. In the mean time a lot of companies, like Indian, Excelcior and also Harley competed in races, and therefore the winner got popular with selling more bikes. And now a 3 episode film has been made for TV, called 'Harley and the Davidsons'. I watched two parts up till now and it is amazing to see how the filmmakers had to have NEW bikes made, representing bikes from the early 1900's. Those inginius guys were daring, clever and had the luck of investors, so we can see today what they achieved. The whole atmosphere of the early 1900's era is so well done, if you have a chanche, SEE it!
Last Edit: 7 years, 6 months ago by 283258.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chaccamacca, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Missed it here on TV a while ago but it will be back sometime this winter. I am making a point of watching it as I had a few Harley's in my time.

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #3

Sounds very interesting. Is it on Dutch TV?

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Yes Theo, it is on Discovery, Dutch subtitled! This Saturday night is the last episode, 21.00 hours.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
We have Discovery so I will have to look for it. I do know it was on a while ago and should be coming back on this winter.

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
There are a lot of commercials in between, but with a bit of luck, someone wil make me a copy of the total story without commercials, on DVD. This will be with non-removable Dutch subtitles.

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #7

I watched the last episode an was pleasantly surprised by it. Saw some great cars from that era too.

Only one point of criticism: Davidson races on a (long and winding..... ) road to measure the maximum speed of the Knucklehead.

He did that on a nice tarmacd road with lane dividing stripes in the middle. I am not sure if that was common in those days
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by RoutemasterNL.

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Yes Theo, great series. Very observing of you about that Beatles road. I don't have to look that up, because I knew from my 'Dik Trom' studies, that the first tarmac road was already laid in 1907, in Monte Carlo. I do not know about the deviding line though. But at the moment that scene was situated we are talking about the late thirties, so it seems obvious the lines were there.

Just looked it up, the first real tarmac road in the US was already in 1870 (New Jersey), but realizing the first cars on roads were 30 years later, that road was not laid meant to be for motorized vehicles.
Last Edit: 7 years, 5 months ago by 283258.

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Lines and striping in the USA: June McCarroll, in 1924.

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
I too have seen this show and have to say it was a really great watch. Such a great insight into how the legendary bike builders began, wish they'd make more shows like this.

I really like an early Harley Davidson but sadly not many models if any around of very early Harley bikes.

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
There are still a lot of old Harleys I suppose, but they are kept by their owners.

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #12

Was that Knucklehead also used in WW2?

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
As far as I know the Knucklehead was not used, because the engine was a bit to big to handle, as it was already 1200 cc or so. Instead the 'Flathead' was developed and used. It This was less heavy, because it was 'only' 750 cc. But I am sure Jim knows the right details.

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Yes, Kees, the Flat heads both 45 cu in and 80 cu in were used in the second world war. They were reliable and easy to repair. A little know fact about them is that there was a box or saddle bag on them with tools for adjustments (some, like the drive chain, would have to be adjusted daily) and repairs. One of the parts included was a wooden piston with rings. The rear cyclinders would take most off the heat due to the front rear configuration of the two cyclinder motor. They could replace a piston in about 1 or 2 hours on the side of the road. LIght weight and very manouverable and being a Flat Head engine design, it had lots of torque. It would go places the Knuckehead could not go. That is the prime reason the Knuckeheads were not used in the second World War. Also, they were not a production war bike only the flat heads were set up for that. They would have to retool a whole factory for the war effort. 1936 to 1947 and it was replace by the Pan Head in 1948.

Re: Films and vehicles: Harley and the Davidsons 7 years, 5 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Those were the days! Quite a story, thanks Jim!
  • Page: