Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown

Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #1

Fresh Boarder
A friend recently gave me a small collection of identical model racing cars, in five different colour combinations. The models are of the famous 1934 Auto-Union Type A ‘long-tail’ model. The models appear to be in standard 1:43 scale, in metal die cast with rubber tires. The holes for the wheel axes must have been drilled after casting. The models were made in five different color combinations: off-white with red seat, light green with red seat, red with blue seat, dark red with off-white seat, and blue with red seat. The models have no separate bottom-plate, and there is no mention of a manufacturer. The underside of the driver’s seat only contains the number ‘B 1300’ and a tiny logo with a letter ‘B’ in the centre, possibly reading ‘K B G’.

We would very much like to know who the manufacturer was and when these models were made? They must be either from pre-war old stock, or of early post-war production, presumably using pre-war casting molds.

My friend has a big box, containing some 150 models, which he retrieved over twenty years ago from a house in Frankfurt in Germany. The cars are all unused, packed together in numbers of thirty cars, still sitting in over sixty-year-old cardboard boxes. Inside the boxes we found some pages from a 1948 Berlin newspaper, used as packaging material. The boxes were sent from one Friedrich Wilhelm Krebs in Berlin to ‘Fraulein’ Tilly Krebs in the ‘American Zone’ of Frankfurt, presumably in 1948. And that is where they stayed; the models were never unwrapped, sold, or used. Could Friedrich Wilhelm Krebs from Berlin, who sent the boxes in 1948, have been the manufacturer?

More details available at: anakronismo.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/aut...n-model-racing-cars/

Any information about the history and manufacturer of these models would be greatly appreciated!
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by anakronismo.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
That is a fantastic story - wish I could help you.  They do remind me of the old Marklin Mercedes Benzes; here are 2 re-issues from years later!

Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by karls.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #3

Fresh Boarder
Thanks, those are great as well! But they are the competitive racers from Mercedes-Benz. Was there a Marklin-version of the Auto-Union racers as well?

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
bit of a challenge, isn't it???

this is the Marklin Auto Union.

the design is very different.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
looked up the name 'Friedrich Wilhelm Krebs' in Ancestry.com and he appears to have been born in Ohio, USA in 1889.

Apart from his parents (immigrants) nothing further is mentioned.

(need to pay for that, don't see the need just yet)

ok, here's my theory: Friedrich Wilhelm Krebs emigrated or was born to immigrants to America.

Krebs means Crabs in English.

The model is stamped with a capital C, and two little c's next to that either side.

The emblem resembles a crab.

There's no mention 'yet' of occupation, but he obviously ended up in the wrong area after the war, regardless of being an American.

That's as far as I got with googling and theorising.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joschik

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #6

Fresh Boarder
From what I found so far the models are presumed to be of early post-war production, so 1948 sounds plausible as the year of production.

They are probably made from Zamak (or Zamac) alloy.

The logo apparantly spells out K B G, meaning a KG (meaning "Kommanditgesellschaft", which is a Limited Partnership) from B (Berlin). So mr Krebs could well have been the manufacturer, but who Mr Krebs...?
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by anakronismo.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
I'm surprised that the Zamac hasn't crumbled. It tends to suffer badly from fatigue, at least the pre-war Dinky's did.

KG sounds familiar, I'll have to google some more, but have to be up for work in a few hours so really need to take a nap first, and I'll take another look after work in the morning.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
played with the words a bit and lookie what I found???

a website

www.krebsgesellschaft.de/

also... KBG is the acronym for Kernkraftwerk Betriebsgesellschaft.

I figure a Nuclear Reactor???

also, the Zamac was described as aluminium derived
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by RVREVO.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Found another one!!!!!!!  ebay of course!

Could it be a KBK?  K = Krebs perhaps? Sold last week from France.  I want one of each color!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/494-KBK-B1300-Auto-Union-voiture-course-10-5cm-/160640578526?pt=FR_YO_Jeux_VehiculesMiniaturesCircuits_VehiculesMiniatures&hash=item2566ecb3de
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joschik, anakronismo

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
and this one sold a while ago from Berlin itself!

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kneterenner-Auto-Unio...selten-/390316223502

So, is it a Becker?  Pictures are gone already - too bad.

Also, the great collector, Ferdinand Zegel, had one! Vectis sold his stuff in 2005;

http://www.vectis.co.uk/Page/ViewSearchLots.aspx?Search=kbk&Dir=0&id=0&ref=0
Last Edit: 5 years, 6 months ago by karls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: anakronismo

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #11

Platinum Boarder
Excellent find Karl

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #12

Fresh Boarder
Great find, many thanks!! So it's a Kurt Becker KG (KBG) from Berlin!

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #13

Platinum Boarder
The above references call it a KBK, (not KBG)...  But who knows for sure?

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 6 months ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Great find and great mystery to go with it. At least there is the identity of the person year of wrapping in news paper wrong side of the Iron Curtain well just before the Wall of Sorrow.

Re: Auto-Union Type A 'long-tail' racing car model - manufacturer unknown 5 years, 3 months ago #15

Fresh Boarder
Recently I have been able to acquire the box with Auto Union models from my friend and I am planning to sell most of them to collectors. Anybody interested in individual models or sets of 5 cars are more then welcome to contact me at: info@ganz-volkswagen.org
Last Edit: 5 years, 3 months ago by anakronismo.
  • Page: