Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber

Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #1

Cam

Platinum Boarder
I have finally managed to add one to my collection after waiting years. It was acquired off ebay for a very good price. Unfortunately the seller restricted his sale to the continental US only, and I was unable to contact him regarding exceptions.

An esteemed fellow collector in the US stepped up, bid and won the item for me for a remarkably low price, then shipped it off to me. I would not have been able to add this to my collection without his help, and I am very grateful to him for his time, effort, and trust.

This, along with my Joseph Mason's Paint minivan are the two I am most proud of in my collection now. All else will be gravy.

Cam

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
This is one of the 500 know models to be in existence.

I can't tell from the photo Cam. Are the wing tips rounded or pointed. If pointed it is one of the first castings before the mold was changed. The Aluminum would not go to the wing tips properly after a few pours so the blocked it off. Later models all had rounded wing tips due to that fact.

Great Score and that is worth probably $1000 in that shape. You remember the one I restored for a customer and the one he had for sale. The one for sale With incomplete box was valued between £2500 and £3500 if I remember right. Yours without a box, would be worth about half of that. Looks good on ya buddy.

Here is a link to that thread. Top of the page gives the prices I got from Vectis Auctions.

Jim
Last Edit: 3 years, 2 months ago by Nobleco.

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #3

Cam

Platinum Boarder
They are the rounded ones Jim, although one is a bit raggedy. I got it for the remarkable price of $320 including shipping to me. I think the seller did himself a disservice by restricting his sale to the US only, but as I reaped the benefit, I am happy. I will not be doing anything to restore this model at all. All the decals and landing gear are intact so I will just leave it and enjoy it.

Cam

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
I see the wing tips now and it looks like a little play wear there to me. Incredible price and shipping in too. Great score. I agree with you that the seller short changed themselves. I should have and probably would have gone for much more if it had gone world wide.

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #5

Cam

Platinum Boarder
I was very fortunate in that a fellow collector in the States agreed to bid on it for me and ship it up here. He managed to snipe it at the last minute for an incredible price I think. I still cannot believe my luck, both with finding the model, and having Wim agree to get it for me. I would rate this as one of my all time greatest finds.

Cam

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I would agree with you on that for sure. Great find and great price. Great friend on line too.

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Wim got it for you?  Is that the Dr Dinky from another forum - if so, I meet him last October at the Kane Co toy show in Chicago!  Nice guy!

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #8

Cam

Platinum Boarder
That's him Karl. A very nice chap indeed, and very knowledgable about Dinky Toys. Always willing to help a fellow collector.

Cam

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Cam, as a life long Dinky collector, I can only offer congrats on a very rare and hard to find model....that is just super, and a real treasure for your collection!

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #10

Platinum Boarder
yes very good score, is your mason paints van mint? would love to see pics of it.

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 2 months ago #11

Cam

Platinum Boarder
It is, unfortunately, not mint. I got it off ebay along with two other Dinky Toys for an unbelievable 15 dollars. The seller picture was very blurry, but I thought I could see a dark mini with a white square in the background. I managed to win the auction easily as the information was very sketchy. When it arrived all my hopes were realized when it was truly a Mason's Paints mini. It was missing the rear doors and the roof sign which I have replaced after colour matching them.

I couldn't believe my luck, and it does look great in the collection.

Cam

Last Edit: 3 years, 1 month ago by Cam.

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 1 month ago #12

Fresh Boarder
I missed this whole thread. I don't venture out to many forums, I just don't have the time. You can however always find me at http://diecastrestorations.myfreeforum.org/index.php I was very excited too to be able to get that plane for Cam. At least I have had it in my hands. However the condition was not like in the pictures. It was filthy! Cam let me play with it and I got it cleaned up and it looks now like a million bucks. I was lucky too a while back and got a real Corgi Mini Mostest! For only $235. I could not believe it that I slipped in under the radar.

It is the one in the foreground. Just before I got it I made some restorations of this model as I thought I would never get a real one. So you can see they are pretty close.

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 1 month ago #13

Platinum Boarder
Dr Dinky, That is a very rare model and it looks to be in very good condition and the price reflects that too. Nice catch.

I used to belong to the site you list the link for. I had the same username there as here. You will find many of my post, tips and hints and lots of my restos on this site. I also have quite a few friends there, Dinkycolletor, Mr Blunden, Kessie25, Gizmok just to name a few. Gary and I had a falling out so I am banned.

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 3 years, 1 month ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Heya Cam, good score on the Avro and Minivan

Re: Dinky 992 Avro Vulcan Bomber 1 year, 8 months ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Some intersting info on the vulcan I've found out from a work colleague who's mother and father both worked at binns road. His father worked in design and he's told me a story on this.

This was a hard model to get the casting right as the nose tip kept breaking off and the wing tips when being casted thats part of the reason it only made it to Canada to be sold. If only Dinky had got the casting to work then this little beauty may not as rare as it is today.
  • Page: