Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen

Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen 2 months, 1 week ago #1

Platinum Boarder
As mentioned briefly elsewhere, I've finally bought my first modern Tekno truck. I started taking truck photos back in 2012 and now have several thousands of them. This is one of the few remaining areas, where you can still find stylish liveries these days. Street cars, everybody seems to go for white, black or silver, and city buses (at least in Denmark) are contractually required to use certain colours.

Trucks, on the other hand, are a different matter. Some operators have been in the trade for generations and take great pride in meticulous liveries and I thoroughly enjoy "catching" these masterpieces on the road.

I've found a few favourite photo spots in my local area, one is by a highway less than 10 minutes away from my home... on foot. Another is at the main "artery" leading to the local port, and the last one is down at the port itself.

As a diecast collector, it's hardly surprising, that I'd also love to get some scale models of those trucks. The good news is, that there's lots of them out there, even danish liveries. The bad news is, that they cost an arm and a leg, especially the multi-coloured, complex liveries. So for heaven knows how long, I've had a bunch of them on 'watch' by eBay. Countless times I've been extremely close to buying one, but backed out at the very last moment. But just a few days ago I got a nice little tax return and decided, that now was the time!

I chose a truck that I've actually "caught" with my camera back in november of last year. The photo didn't turn out very well, but it's better than nothing and maybe I'll catch it again later on... I sure hope so.

The truck in question is a Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter (license plate AA13901), first registered on april 18th 2013, so exactly 4 years old today. The operator's name is Henrik Sørensen. The Tekno model is pulling the same green Kel-Berg tipping trailer it did on my photo. I really like the colour combination of red, green, cream and black and can't wait for it to arrive!

Below are some photos of the model as welll as my (not very good) one of the actual truck.

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen 2 months, 1 week ago #2

That is an impressive truck and trailer. Tekno did a great job and the detail is stunning. I wonder if the trailer has working features

Re: Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen 2 months, 1 week ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Nice truck and model, the shape of the trailer seems quite strange with the angle front and back. This would be a lot harder to make than straight end and I wonder if the benefit warrants the extra cost.

Re: Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen 2 months, 1 week ago #4

Dinkydi wrote:
Nice truck and model, the shape of the trailer seems quite strange with the angle front and back. This would be a lot harder to make than straight end and I wonder if the benefit warrants the extra cost.

The trailer developers and engineers must have had a good reason for developing this kind of trailer. I think it has something to do with the unloading of the load. You can see on the photo of the real one that it has a canvas cover so I presume it is used for sand or earth transportation. And with both front end and rear end in an angle, you don't lose any loading capacity. The only thing is that trailer is longer..

Re: Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen 2 months, 1 week ago #5

Platinum Boarder
I think Theo is right in the previous post - Tekno describes the trailer as a "Bau-Kipper", meaning construction/building-tipper and on the website of the operator, Henrik Sørensen 

www.vognmandsørensen.dk/index.html they mention transportation of sand and gravel as one of their main capacities. I imagine this type of trailer being used to take sand/gravel to construction sites. The special shape of the bed gives a slightly increased capacity. The advantage may not sound too big, but on large sites it could save one or even more full loads (time, gas, driver wages)

I think the trailer should be functioning, both the tipping and the tailgate. In the early days, after moving from Denmark, Tekno's models even retained the opening doors and jewel headlights, but along the way they (wisely) decided, that this wasn't optimal for authenticity and precision.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen 2 months, 1 week ago #6

Platinum Boarder
I really like your purchase here Tee, to have amassed a few thousand photos is impressive. That is a lot of travelling about for that I bet.

Modern Tekno trucks have until recently passed me by, I was given this for free along with 3 identical trailers which I sold on. The lorry cab just needed a minor repair which was easy to fix. My model here has a Scania cab. I will do a picture of it outside the box later.

Prices of these moder Tekno put me off buying more of them.

Re: Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen 2 months, 1 week ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Nice Stobart!!! I'm really looking forward to your photos.

I recently bought a bunch of Stobarts myself, unfortunately not Tekno-quality  

2x 1/50th scale from Cararama/Oxford (a Scania and a Volvo)

11x 1/76th scale by Oxford for Atlas' Stobart Collection (Scania, Volvo, MAN, Ford-Iveco)

I'm finding them to be quite good value for money and decals are crisp, even on the small ones. Of course, I would have prefered them all to be larger scale, but... the costs!

I know exactly what you mean when mentioning the prohibitive costs of modern Teknos, this was also the reason it took a tax refund before I finally decided to get one. Plain liveries are much, much cheaper, but still cost a small fortune.

Unfortunately Corgi don't make danish liveries, otherwise that would have been my prime choice - as it is now, I can only choose between Tekno and WSI.

The photos are much easier: I'm fortunate to live very close to a major international port and it only takes a 5-10 minute walk to get to one of the main highways leading there. The shoulders of the road offer both high and low (safe) vantage points for photos. For some extra spice, I sometimes go to the port itself to get some "industrial" backgrounds.
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by Teebodk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen 2 months, 1 week ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Collecting the Corgi 1 50th is a no brainer for me! Some can be picked up very cheaply, some overpriced. As for Tekno lorries if their cheap then yes I will indulge, the guy that gave this had hundreds of trucks before selling them off, was a sales rep for a big toy shop over here.

I'll do pics in the morning now and that will reveal the toy shop he worked for.

I do like a modern lorry and love the classics too. 

May have to start a picture quest of uk lorrys to show some of our liverys over here. I'll let ya how it goes.
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by dinkyjay.

Re: Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen 1 month, 2 weeks ago #9

Platinum Boarder
Hi tee, sorry for the lateness of the pictures. Here ya go buddy.

Re: Tekno #67552 - Volvo FH4 500 Globetrotter, Henrik Sørensen 1 month, 2 weeks ago #10

Platinum Boarder
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco
  • Page: