Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon)
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon)

Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon) 3 years, 5 months ago #1

Platinum Boarder
One day, one fine day I'll get the vintage Corgi version of this, but I'm quite happy to have added this Vanguards to the collection as well - the two are not really comparable, are they? The Corgi is old, nostalgic, part of history and well... prime Corgi, quite simple but very charming - the Vanguards is a detailed modern version, scoring high on authenticity, but low on history.

At £6.00 for this mib copy, I think I made a good bargain and it well become a welcome member of my growing Vanguards collection.

Re: Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon) 3 years, 5 months ago #2

Platinum Boarder
You got a good bargain on this one, for sure. Another I do not have. But I mostly collect the trucks in the Vanguard series. I do have a few cars but they are like AA or RAC vechiles so don't really count as cars.

Re: Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon) 3 years, 5 months ago #3

Platinum Boarder
Very funny... we seem to collect exactly the opposite of each other. I don't collect Vanguards trucks/vans because they're smaller scale. I also prefer any model to be as 'plain' as possible, ie. no taxis, police cars, rally/racing numbers whatsoever. If humanly possible, I want the car owned by 'average Joe'. Only exception from this rule is buses and trucks, but because of the scale issue, that is moot point anyway for the Vanguards.

Glad to know we won't be competing

Re: Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon) 3 years, 5 months ago #4

Platinum Boarder
Oh, I don't know about that as there are not many more vans I want and there are some nice cars I would like to have. I have a TR 2 Softop so that is nice but I think,,,no,,, I have an E type jag in white. I will be collecting them too. I have the three cars on the plinth too. Porsche, Mercedes and Dino Ferrari also mint in box but that cost a bit to ship a few years ago, now would be much more

Re: Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon) 3 years, 5 months ago #5

Platinum Boarder
To me Vanguards appears to be one of the most reliable brands, in the sense that I've yet to experience a 'dud' from them. They're quite reliable with consistant levels of detail and overall quality (including qc.) Solido, I see as the exact opposite - they make some brilliant, wonderful models with lots of detail, but they also produce some that I'd call a disgrace: one piece casts, no lights (front or back), no grilles (not even painted on), cheapo generic wheels and to top it off, you'll often find lots of excess cast on the metal and sprue-remnants on what plastic may be present.

Re: Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon) 3 years, 5 months ago #6

Platinum Boarder
that is a drag as Solido used to be really good back in the day. A buddy has a bunch of Army Solido and they look fantastic and still work after being played with since the late 60's

Re: Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon) 3 years, 5 months ago #7

Platinum Boarder
Another Brand I want to try out is Oxford. From what I have heard and seen, they are quite detailed and have good craftsmanship to them. Just not buying much at the moment. Got some plans in the works and need to save some dough

Re: Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon) 3 years, 5 months ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Yes, Oxford sound interesting to me as well. Very high detail levels on their 1/76 models, which leads to "what must their 1/43 range be like then?" (very much like GreenLight and their superbly detailed 1/64 models). The only thing that scares me a bit about them is, that supposedly their 1/43 models are made by Cararama?

I'm not being fair to Cararama here, sorry - their models are actually not that bad, casting is fairly good, they have proper ligthts and grilles, nice looking (if somewhat generic) wheels and so on, BUT they're the cheapest of the cheapest toy cars you can possibly get in 1/43, so cheap in fact, that they're downright unsellable - I bought one some time ago (a Lexus), nice car and all, paid next to nothing and purchased it with some others for combined shipping. Then tried to sell it on Qxl (danish auction) and set the price as low as humanly possible, just enough to not make a loss. No matter how many words of appraisal I wrote on the auction description, no matter how interesting photo angles I used, no matter what I did, it would not sell - people didn't even bother to look at the auction. Why? Probably something to do with the fact that you could get it at any Toys'R'Us for less than it would cost to buy it from me (because of p+p). Finally I gave up and lowered the price to the equivalent of €1 (making it a loss for me) - I recieved one bid, from a buy who had already bought two other models and would be able to get it for no extra postage!

Re: Vanguards VA1900 - Rover P4 (maroon) 3 years, 5 months ago #9

Platinum Boarder
nice Rover find... got a couple of workshop and glovebox manuals of this car courtesy of my sister moving into their first house 25 years ago that used to belong to a restorer of the P4. They donated a P4 chassis to the NZ Rover Collectors Club, which was under the house.

As for Vanguards... Two Morris Minor boxvans and a Morris 1100 Estate.

Currently a bit sidetracked with RIO at the moment
  • Page: