Here's where you can discuss all general diecast stuff - mystery items, ask who made a model of a particular car, ask for info about an obscure manufacturer or chat about anything else!
  • Page:

TOPIC: CRAA 2017

CRAA 2017 1 week, 1 day ago #1

Platinum Boarder
It's that time of the year again, yes, Classic Race Aarhus 2017 is here, this weekend. On my way to bed now, and when I wake up, I'll be on my way to the first day.

Friday is practice- and qualifying day, but more importantly: in the past, fridays have also been the day to get access to special photo spots, normally reserved for the media photographers. I do know exactly where to go for photos for the main races sat. and sunday, but friday is more of an adventure.

Race/exhibition classes this year are: saloon cars 1965 and older, saloon cars 1971 and older, saloon cars 1981 and older, youngtimers, Legend cars, DTC (Danish Thundersport = like NASCARs), classic bikes, Kampf der Zwerge (battle of the midgets = small cars like Mini, NSU TT, Fiat Abarth 1000, Autobianchi A112, Mini Marcos, Hillman Imp, Fiat 128), DTM Classics (the original DTM racers of the 1980-90s like Mercedes 190 Evo, BMW E36, Opel, Sierra Cosworth RS), Danish Supertourismo (modern racers, feeding class for DTC) and "Legends of Speed" (Le Mans/CanAm/Formula 1)

Re: CRAA 2017 1 week, 1 day ago #2

Platinum Boarder
Details (in english) can be found here: 

http://www.craa.dk/en/

Re: CRAA 2017 1 week, 1 day ago #3

Platinum Boarder
I am looking forward to some photos in particular the first two categories ie pre 1971 saloon cars.

Re: CRAA 2017 1 week, 1 day ago #4

Have fun Thomas, and show us these beauties soon.....

Re: CRAA 2017 1 week ago #5

Platinum Boarder
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, Dinkydi, Andy66, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: CRAA 2017 1 week ago #6

Platinum Boarder
It was a long, hard day "at the office", and it didn't start too well as I forgot my main battery for the camera at home and had to find a way to make my no-name backup battery last all day. To make matters worse, the sun hesitated to come out, so I was starting to worry about the light conditions. Thankfully the clouds finally disappeared, just as the first practice session began.

I found a great photo spot, so great, actually, that I decided to stay there for the whole day, only leaving to get frankfurters and beer

Turning off the live screen on the camera reduced the battery consumption enough to make it last all day (just!) and I returned home with over 1200 photos... and a sunburn. I have now become an indian, ugh!

The weather forecasts for tomorrow are not too promising, partially overcast for most of the day, but fingers crossed there will be some sun at least.

I managed to get photos of all car classes except the '71 saloon cars (they had their practice long before the others), so catching that class in action will be my main priority for saturday, along with the classic car parks. If the weather acts up, I'll probably spend a good deal of time taking photos in the paddocks, since this doesn't require super-fast shutter speed.

I've only just sorted the photos into folders, but here's a quick preview from the '65 class, showing a Marcos leading a Lotus Cortina MkI.
The following user(s) said Thank You: karls, RoutemasterNL

Re: CRAA 2017 6 days, 1 hour ago #7

Platinum Boarder
That Marcos is very cool!  Were there any Alfas?

Re: CRAA 2017 4 days, 20 hours ago #8

Platinum Boarder
Saturday turned out to be not very productive, except for the civilian cars in the classic car parks. The reason for this was less than ideal weather, which even included some rain in the early hours.

Due to the weather, I delayed my departure until things started to improve. Once at the scene, I went through the entire outside classic car park, taking photos of every single vehicle, one by one. All in all, 275 photos were taken here, mostly one photo per car, but a few did get an extra photo or two. My best guess would be somewhere in the region of 240 cars.

Later on, the other classic car park, located inside the premises, got the same treatment, yielding another 200 photos.

Race photography was limited to a few car classes, since most had already been covered on friday under better light circumstances, so I thought, that any new photos taken of the same cars would only produce inferior results. That said, the sun DID shine, now and then, but it was very much a case of on/off all afternoon. Unfortunately the '71 class was missed again, as the light really wasn't good enough at the time. Thankfully, sunday was much better and I managed to catch them at last.

Just over 150 photos were taken in the paddocks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: CRAA 2017 2 days, 7 hours ago #9

Platinum Boarder
karls wrote:
That Marcos is very cool!  Were there any Alfas?

Yes, mostly quite a lot of Giulias in all its guises: Sprint, GT, GTA, Junior and so on. Also a couple of Alfa 33's in the races.

But sad to say, the Alfas tend to be backmarkers in all classes they participate in. Not dead-last, but nowhere near competing for the top spots... except for one -

The following user(s) said Thank You: karls

Re: CRAA 2017 1 day, 17 hours ago #10

Platinum Boarder
Sunday report: the last race of the weekend (Youngtimers final) was canceled after a horrendous crash in the penultimate race (Supertourismo Turbo)

Right from the start, that race was troubled by lots of minor collisions, causing varying degrees of damage to the cars involved. One of the damaged cars was race #50. The cars in this class are built very much like NASCARs with big fibreglass bodyparts, that are easy to replace, but because the parts are big, they can also cause problems if they become partially detached, since they can more or less block the view of the driver.

Some cars came in for repairs, while others opted to stay out, including car #50. It went well for a couple of laps, but due to the wind catching the damaged front bodywork, it was gradually becoming more and more loose.

At the end of lap 4, car 50# was racing alongside car 21 on the straight, when the front flapped open, obscuring the view of the driver. He hit car 21, causing it to swerve into the concrete barrier. Car 21 'bounced' back, hitting car 50, launching it into the air. It hit the top of the concrete and continued up into the wire fences, peeling them like a can of sardines, before finally stopping in mid air, caught in the 'net' of the crumpled fence.

Both drivers escaped without injuries, but two members of the audience were hit by debris, resulting in minor injuries and a race official got slightly injured in a fall, while in a frantic dash to the accident scene.

Due to the destroyed fence, and of course the general state of shock, it was decided to cancel the last race.

stiften.dk/aarhus/VIDEO-Brat-afslutning-...r-tid/artikel/454850

The link above shows the driver of #50 getting out of his car after the crash. You can hear members of the audience shouting "Der er ild i bilen" ("The car is on fire") - thankfully, it turned out to be only smoke.

More here:

sport.tv2.dk/motorsport/2017-05-21-volds...koert-paa-skadestuen

And even more (adblocker must be turned off for this one to work):

ekstrabladet.dk/sport/anden_sport/motors...et-paa-video/6677142

Finally a photo I took of the two cars involved, just 1½ minutes before the crash. As you can see, they're already side by side, fighting for position.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, karls

Re: CRAA 2017 11 hours, 21 minutes ago #11

Platinum Boarder
A couple of Alfas from the saturday car park for our resident Alfa-fanatic

First a 1970 Giulia Sprint GT

Re: CRAA 2017 11 hours, 19 minutes ago #12

Platinum Boarder
Next up is a swedish 1975 GT Junior 1,6

Re: CRAA 2017 11 hours, 14 minutes ago #13

Platinum Boarder
And finally a 1985 Sprint 1.5 (Tipo 902), formerly known as Alfasud Sprint, but Alfa changed the name when they retired the standard Alfasud in favor of the new Alfa 33. The Sprint was allowed to survive, sans the Alfasud-part of the name.

Re: CRAA 2017 7 hours, 59 minutes ago #14

Platinum Boarder
Many Giulias or Sprints are in the US, never seen the Alfasud Sprint here though!  Thanks for the great photos!

Re: CRAA 2017 6 hours, 5 minutes ago #15

Platinum Boarder
One more Giulia from the saturday parking lot, this is a 1976 Giulia Nuova Super 1600 (Tipo 105), the late version without the 'dent' in the trunk.

The way I'm sorting my photos is insanely elaborate. I look up every single car in the vehicle registry to get information, often cross-checking with Wikipedia and other sites to make sure I get it right. Only then am I done with each photo. With approximately 240 vehicles in this parking lot alone on saturday, it means spending hour after hour working through them all. This is also why photos appear at such a slow rate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, karls
  • Page: