Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Here's where you can talk about model tanks, armoured cars, staff cars and any other model military vehicles, whether they're kits, diecast or anything else!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun

Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months, 1 week ago #1

Expert Boarder
Hello again,

I've recently expanded my Britains collecting to concentrate on vehicles. I was fortunate to buy up a couple of small collections, including a lot of parts which I would like to restore to complete vehicles, or to use in custom vehicles.

One of the vehicles is a Carden-Loyd tankette, which brings up the first request. The vehicle is somewhat beat up, but definitely worth trying to make presentable. Here is a picture:

If someone out there has a CL tankette with a crew, if they could take a picture of the crew outside of the vehicle, I'd appreciate it much. I need a picture reference of what to look for, but the best I have seen is waist-up shots of the crew sitting in the vehicle. The other tankette request is likely impossible, but I would like to put some sort of treads on the tankette. I think the treads need to be about 185mm in circumference, and about 5mm wide. The tankette had rubber bands on it, which looked pretty lame. I assume there are no replacement treads made for this, but I was hoping that there might be matchbox, corgi or some other replacement treads that might look better than nothing. Any recommendations?

The other request is to help with a most careful restoration. I finally got my hands on a nearly complete Britains 4.5 inch anti-aircraft gun. The problem is that the elevation arm is broken off at the geared elevation crescent and is missing. I assume the arm extends at a slight angle up to the gun and fits into what appears to be 2 mount holes in a flange under the barrel. Here is a picture of the rear of the gun, which shows where the arm is missing to someone who owns a complete gun:

BTW, even though it is not remounted to the gun yet, I do have the degree guide piece which will be mounted to the base of the gun. If someone has a 4.5 inch AA gun, if you could take pictures of the rear of the gun, showing that elevation arm between the elevation crescent and the gun, I would appreciate it very much. I want to fabricate a replacement piece that is as close to the original as I can make it. These guns are worth too much to do anything but a close to original replacement part.

Thanks for any help - Steve

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months, 1 week ago #2

I can't help you on the parts Steve.
What I really like quality of the casting. That circulair base is a fantastic piece of craftmenship by Britains

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months, 1 week ago #3

Expert Boarder
I totally agree - the 4.5 inch anti-aircraft gun is the pinnacle of the Britains craftsmanship in their toy cannon line. See the 2 pictures, one breech closed but ready to fire, and one breech held open:

The circular base has a 360 degree marker, gear and knob adjusted (left). The elevation crescent probably has a 120 degree range (I am also missing the paper gauge on the elevation crescent), also knob adjusted (right). the breech is opened and a shell placed in, and the breech closes automatically (see the little spring on the breech slide rod in the upper picture). The firing spring is encased in the housing below the barrel, and it shoots fairly well. Near the left knob, there is a lever which appears to lock the elevation gear in place, so it will not move unintentionally. The trigger is the round lever on the top of the gun.

A complex, fascinating piece of toy engineering. Given that it was designed as a toy, and is rather complicated to operate, it is not surprising that it is so rare, because I suspect not many survived intact.

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months, 1 week ago #4

Senior Boarder
Don`t know if these are any good but if you google images for Britains 4.5 aa gun Vectus have one or two that might be of help or even try the set #1522

When it came to look for cl tankette the caption under the photo says METAL TRACKS

May well be there is another version with rubber tracks

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months, 1 week ago #5

Expert Boarder
I appreciate you looking on Vectis (I have looked there often for examples and what was available, as well as come very close to setting some bids). The issue is I need to see the back of the gun so I can tell how the flange on the elevation crescent (lower arrow) fits into the flange on the barrel (upper arrow). The piece is broken off and I need to replace it.

Also, with the Carden Loyd tankette, I need to see the crew outside the tankette.

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months, 1 week ago #6

Gold Boarder
Regarding the Carden Llyod tank 

There were 3 versions: - 

1202 intro 1931 - 1932 Driver figure only on left hand side (looking at the front)  - Rubber track

1203 1932 - 1940 changed to driver on right and gunner/observer on left - Rubber track

1203 - metal cast track 1940 - 1941. This was due to difficulties in obtaining rubber, same was seen on the lorries as they got metal wheels as well.

A few photos of my rubber track version with the original crew and the replica's available on e bay from time to time, gun as well

The AA gun is one of there finest pieces and as yet I have to add one to my collection. They fetch good money so waiting for the right time!!

My collection is still growing, run out of space in display cabinet!!

Still got 4 more pumps to finish, all painted and need assembly.
Last Edit: 2 months, 1 week ago by StuartR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, steverc, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months, 1 week ago #7

Senior Boarder
Now at least the C-L T is well documented for future reference many thanks. Nice collection and hope you find your missing pieces for the AA gun.

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months, 1 week ago #8

Expert Boarder
Much thanks!

Those pictures of the crew were exactly what I was looking for.

That is a verry nice collection you have there. My vehicle collection is nowhere near as nice. Currently working on a square nose ambulance (needs doors), a few staff cars (windscreen an grill needs), a tracked lorry (need a track). I am waiting on the weather to get a bit nicer before starting to cast some of the parts in pewter.

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months, 1 week ago #9

Gold Boarder
Doors for the Square nose are available form Steve Flowers, his door pins are not long enough for the rear doors though, so model aeroplane control wire is spot on.

I was lucky enough to buy a pot of Britains spares for the Staff Car radiators and windscreens (may get around to casting a few later in the year), a chassis and the bulk of a body, so another may emerge from the pile of bits, and will be painted in the sports car colours like my red and cream one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: steverc

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months ago #10

Expert Boarder
Thank you very much! I knew there were spare doors for a square-nose somewhere around, and you just saved me a bit of searching or some mold-making and casting. 

I'm sort of a "waste not" person. So when I replace strings on my guitar or bass, I always make sure to save a bit of the strings if I'm running low on wire - the door pin wire I have used in the past was the core of a heavy gauge low E guitar string. it does not bend that easy, but flexes well, which is good for those delicate door hinges.

I was also most fortunate to find another AA gun for sale on eBay (I probably will not bid on it). The flange is broken on that gun as well, but still fastened to the barrel. So 2 of the pictures (though a bit fuzzy due to picture size) had a reasonable view of what a flange should look like. The gun is missing one piece (the gun rotation pointer at the rear), and the flange needs fixing, but it looks fairly nice and includes a box. It might be missing the paper elevation gauge also. So, if you are looking for one, check it out.

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months ago #11

Gold Boarder
I have looked at the AA gun on Ebay, and although tempted there is not enough detail on the photo's, too poor quality, to show the full extent of the damage and if it is repairable.  So not sure.

Also SF has the round cab doors as well.

The main problem is matching paint for the matt Khaki and the gloss green, I've just got a set of different green enamels and will see if any match.

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months ago #12

Expert Boarder
Believe me, there were a number of things on the SF site that are going on my shopping list, which fill in gaps, including a round cab door, though I don't know if there is enough of my hurting round cab truck left to attempt a rescue. If it happens, it will be a story somewhere on here. 

Yes, color matching is a problem. All the trucks I have for repair are in such bad shape that saving the original paint may not be an option. My ambulance has a bad repaint already, so it will be stripped. Oddly enough it still has its original rear door pins, so i don't need to cut replacements.

As for the AA gun, yes, the pictures are not so good. I mentioned it because these are fairly hard to come by, so sometimes people get desperate. I compared the pictures with what I have and told what I could see. As always, let the buyer beware.

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 2 months ago #13

Gold Boarder
The round cab doors never fitted the cabs properly so one does not have to too precious about the fit.

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 1 month ago #14

Gold Boarder
Just arrived this morning is the later type metal track Carden Lyod light tank. 

Photos with the earlier rubber tracked version

Last Edit: 1 month ago by StuartR.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Help needed on Carden-Loyd Tankette and 4.5 AA gun 1 month ago #15

Platinum Boarder
Looks like a number of changes to this model, not just the cast in metal tracks. The side are a different shape, the notch at the rear is larger and there is a triangle shape on the rear of the all metal one. Now you need a gun for this one.
  • Page:
Moderators: Modelguru