Corgi Toys Group Forum: From the Mettoy Era to the latest Corgi Vanguards, here's the place to talk about all those great models named after the Queen's favourite dog!

TOPIC: Some of my Corgi Toy's

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week, 2 days ago #271

Platinum Boarder
Andy, all Corgi boxes and leaflets were drawn, and no photo's were used. (I believe other makes also did that). Back then they probably did not have the techniques to take a picture, and clear the background. Making a drawing also made the box more attractive than a photo (?). On the other hand, the designers of those drawings did not have an easy job and had to be paid as well.

So, Corgi probably thought the outlooks of the 253 were the same as the earlier 230, so why change the picture? In the white frame the later 253 had 'luggage' added.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week, 2 days ago #272

Platinum Boarder
So the box says "Coupe" but shows a 4 door sedan, I assume this is carry over artwork ?

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week, 2 days ago #273

Platinum Boarder
Good of you to mention that DD. So the drawing on BOTH boxes have a FOUR-door car, and BOTH models are two-door coupe's. I all these things in a list to Cavendish books years ago, before the new Cleemput bible was produced by them. In the new bible a lot of mistakes were made, and a lot of mistakes just taken over from the old bible. You guessed: no reply.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week, 2 days ago #274

Platinum Boarder
Sorry Keesie, that is what I was asking, the fact that it had a different model on the box , not the quality.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week, 1 day ago #275

Platinum Boarder
I also notice a difference in the two models shown or one that each of you has is broken. The no-draft side window at the front of the car is broken off. Is there supposed to be a pillar there or not? Looks like either a broken model and you did not replace the missing post or they are two different years of the car, one with no-draft and one with a complete window, no vent.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week, 1 day ago #276

Platinum Boarder
Separately I will say that Zephyr turned out really nice. Was there no color around the license plate area on the rear? Would look good if that was painted the yellow and a black or white plate area. Funny you had problems with the tape sticking to soft paint. I dry mine with infrared light, same as sun light. That cures from the inside out so should have no soft paint after a day. Maybe it is the tape you use? I find the Tamiya tape does not leave glue behind but the Painters tape does from time to time on certain colors, usually light colors for some reason.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week, 1 day ago #277

Platinum Boarder
Very good Jim! Nr 230 does NOT have the extra pillar, nr 253 has the pillar. I have a dozen oldies in my boxes, the the same goes for those.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week, 1 day ago #278

Platinum Boarder
It is great to hear the different names  parts on cars are known as in different countries, in England these windows were known as the quarter light.

With regards the Zephyr I managed to polish the roof out. it was exceptionaly hot here yesterday & it hindered the paint drying , making it stay soft, I placed the car in the sunlight & then put in the cool, when I sprayed the yellow Sprayed it in the sun which caused the glue on the tape to melt & leave a mark on the paint but this has now polished out. The car took me a couple of hours from start to finish. The rear no. plate was not picked out on these models, I may make a no.plate up for it.
Last Edit: 1 week, 1 day ago by Andy66.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week, 1 day ago #279

Platinum Boarder
There is a lot more to the two Mercedes models. (I will get ot the Zephyrs later....) 

Here a picture of both from the top, the 230 left, the 253 right. As you can see the rear lid line between window and lid is straight on the left one, bent on the right one.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week ago #280

Platinum Boarder
And the Corgi bible reads about the 230: ' AGAIN this was a model with self steering....'.

Meaning probably pointing at other self steering models, not a Mercedes.

And then, about nr 253: 'this was the original 230, the only difference was that two suitcases were added'.

We now know that bible is completely wrong in this. Different rear, steering, windows, and eh.......the pictures on the boxes are the same, both not right! I told all this to Cavendish books, for their 'revised' edition. This and many more mistakes were just copied  from the earlier bible. In fact, all old texts are the same, just text and pictures moved, text left off and new pictures added in a new section in the rear of the book.
Last Edit: 1 week ago by Keesie.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week ago #281

Platinum Boarder
From the sounds of it I am glad I have the first edtion from 1989. What is the point of buying an updated new release if there are mistakes, and it sounds like many, that are not corrected in the second edition. Silly and bad business.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 1 week ago #282

Platinum Boarder
Jim, it was mentioned -and obvious- when a new edition comes out, it was revised. Marcel van Cleemput used to have done that (a year or so later he passed away). I did a huge (I thought 8 pages)report on the other forum and on Amazon about it: if you don't have any other version, buy that latest one. Otherwise stick to the older one.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 6 days, 23 hours ago #283

Platinum Boarder
Can I just add to Keesie's comments on the box artwork.

During the early development of new models, a consideration is always made to extending sales of a model by releasing variations of the same model, like Police, Fire, ambulance and Taxi versions.

By using artist's impressions of the models on the boxes, it makes it easier to make a saloon car into a Police car or Taxi car.

Doing this with actual photos certainly was beyond Corgi's technology during the period we are talking about with these 1960's models here.

The fact a 4 door car appears on the box for a 2 door car is unfortunate but may be down to all the boxes had been printed before the final look of the model had been decided.

It is quite conceivable Corgi had intended to make a 4 door Mercedes-Benz but had to change this into the 2 door car, but did not want to scrapp the boxes!

Rollerman.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 6 days, 23 hours ago #284

Platinum Boarder
Very true Kevin, although I never read that they first intended a four door model.

Using an artist drawing can indeed make it easier to turn a civilian model into a police version. A good example is Corgi nr 220, a civilian Impala, and nr 221, the taxi-version. A roof sign and an antenna were simply added to the drawing.

Re: Some of my Corgi Toy's 6 days, 23 hours ago #285

Platinum Boarder
In the same way, the Ford Consul classic is a four doors although the box show a two doors design...
The following user(s) said Thank You: CollectorandrestorerMark