Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
Whether you're into Lesney Regular Wheels, Superfast, the Tyco Era or modern Mattel Matchbox, here's the place to chat about all things MB!

TOPIC: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 1 week ago #61

Platinum Boarder
1964 Pontiac Grand Prix

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 1 week ago #62

Platinum Boarder
Pontiac Firebird Formula 400.

Last Edit: 1 week ago by Dinkydi.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 1 week ago #63

Platinum Boarder
1979 Pontiac Trans Am

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 6 days, 16 hours ago #64

Platinum Boarder
Matchbox 53A Mercedes 200 SE (Wagen 111)

Production began in late 1960, with the coupé making its debut at the 75th anniversary of the opening of Mercedes Benz Museum in February of the next year. The convertible followed at the Frankfurt Auto Show a few months later. Almost identical to the coupe, its soft-top roof folded into a recess behind the rear seat and was covered by a tightly fitting leather "boot" in the same color as the seats. Unlike the previous generation of two-door ponton series, the 220SE designation was used for both the coupe and convertible; both received the same version of the 2195 cc M127 engine. Options included a sliding sunroof for the coupe, automatic transmission, power steering, and individual rear seats.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 6 days, 15 hours ago #65

Platinum Boarder
Yesteryear Traction engine

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 6 days, 14 hours ago #66

Platinum Boarder
Wow, was I fond of this futuristic coach, Matchbox no. 40 Leyland Royal Tiger Coach, even featuring wings! 

A pity it was my brother's (but now, after all these years, it's mine). Kind regards, Jan

Last Edit: 6 days, 4 hours ago by janwerner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 6 days, 14 hours ago #67

Platinum Boarder
... and this impressive Matchbox King Size no. K 8 Scammell Tractor and Transporter:

Kind regards, Jan
Last Edit: 6 days, 14 hours ago by janwerner.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blackstone, RoutemasterNL, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 5 days, 15 hours ago #68

Platinum Boarder
Matchbox Major Pack no. 2: Bedford Tractor & York Trailer (1961).
A Matchbox in use by Dinky Toys ...

Kind regards, Jan
Last Edit: 5 days, 15 hours ago by janwerner.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 5 days, 6 hours ago #69

Platinum Boarder
1909 Thomas Flyabout

In 1908, an E.R. Thomas Car was entered into 'The Great Race' which ran from New York to Paris. The decision was made at the last minute and there was little time to properly adapt the car for the race. Instead, the company pulled one from the production line and entered it into the race. The race began at New York during the winter and proceeded for San Francisco. The entrants then loaded onto a boat and traveled to Alaska and then Siberia. Once they arrived at Siberia, the race continued.

The Race was actually won in 169 days, and covered 22,000 miles. 13341 miles were actually driven. At the conclusion of the race, ending in Paris, it was an E.R. Thomas in first place, claiming the overall victory. 

Demand for the E.R. Thomas Motor cars increased after the heroic victory. In 1911, the company only produced six-cylinder cars. Within a year, the car had entered into receivership and purchased by C.A. Finnegan of the Empire Smelting Company.

Last Edit: 5 days, 6 hours ago by Dinkydi.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nobleco, Ecclesley

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 4 days, 17 hours ago #70

Platinum Boarder
Matchbox #57 Chevy Impala 1959

When I was young (a long time ago) I lived in a rather small village, nevertheless there were two Chevy's there owned by a building construction company. One was a Bel Air the other an Impala. I liked the Impala more than the Bel Air. I also remember the Bel Air had two rear lights, the Impala had three.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 4 days, 16 hours ago #71

Platinum Boarder
Matchbox #7 Ford Anglia

A car that brings back so many memories. Thanks to my brother in law Peter I had the pleasure of sitting in - , and driving several of these cars. In the seventies he started rally crossing with an Anglia which had a Ford Cortina 1600 GT engine under the bonnet. The whole project was a disaster in ways of results and all the work we put into the car was not rewarded. But it was fun.

Peter still owns an Anglia, see below, and it is in mint condition; a concours winner.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL, CollectorandrestorerMark

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 4 days, 13 hours ago #72

Platinum Boarder
Impala's always had 3 tail lights. That is their signature. All the rest of the Chevy line had one or two lights. Only the Impala had 3, Little know facts.

I like the Anglia. They were around when I was in my late teens and early 20's but I was driving an Envoy Epic, same as a Vauxhall Viva. I too had a GT Envoy or Viva engine in mine. 1500 cc I believe. Sure was quick and with double SU Carbs instead of the single down draft, it made a huge difference in power and acceleration. I always thought the front end looked weird and the rear window reminded me of an early 60's Mercury Monterey.

It also looks like my 1963 Dodge Custom 880 is next to this car. I wonder where the picture was taken as I had that Dodge in a few Car shows, here in Canada and on in the Seattle area. I don't think it is though.

Last Edit: 4 days, 13 hours ago by Nobleco.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 2 days, 17 hours ago #73

Platinum Boarder
Matchbox #46  Mercedes 300 SE

Launched simultaneously with the 200 SE, this 300 SE W112  was the top of the line Mercedes in them days (if we forget the 600). Very much the same body but more chrome details. This car cost a whopping 32.500 Deutsch Marks in 1962.

The following user(s) said Thank You: RoutemasterNL

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 2 days, 16 hours ago #74

Platinum Boarder
Matchbox #29B Austin Cambridge:

In the small town where we lived (when I was young), there was an Austin/Morris/Wolseley dealership and quite a number of these Cambridge models were sold. They always gave me the impression of being a restraint gracious car. Real British one would say. If I look at them now, all is different, it is no more than a box shaped car, very much like a Peugeot 404.

Re: Matchbox vs. Real Life Versions 2 days, 14 hours ago #75

Platinum Boarder
Quite some beautiful Matchbox models, Gerrit! It's always fun to search for pictures (contemporary if possible) of the miniatures we are so fond of. 

Two Matchbox models no. 33:

The first one (left, 33a), belonging to the older first 75 series models, the very basic Ford Zodiac mk 2, scale 1/71, introduced in 1956.

The second one (33c), on its new type box and featuring windows, interior, suspension and plastic wheels, the Ford Zephyr mk 3, scale 1/71, introduced 1963. Kind regards, Jan 

Last Edit: 2 days, 14 hours ago by janwerner.